• Caro Visitante, por que não gastar alguns segundos e criar uma Conta no Fórum Valinor? Desta forma, além de não ver este aviso novamente, poderá participar de nossa comunidade, inserir suas opiniões e sugestões, fazendo parte deste que é um maiores Fóruns de Discussão do Brasil! Aproveite e cadastre-se já!

Jonathan Strange e Mr.Norrell

*Artanis*

Siga as borboletas!
Da autora Susanna Clarke, foi chamado de "Harry Potter para adultos". Mistura fantasia com fatos históricos. Suzane Clarke foi comparada a alguns autores como Tolkien e Jane Austen.

262304g.gif

Sinopse
A prática da magia foi considerada extinta da Inglaterra desde os tempos medievais do Rei Corvo. Em 1806, aqueles que se intitulam magos são apenas estudiosos da história da magia. Mas, um dia, dois deles resolvem investigar os motivos do desaparecimento da magia. E assim conhecem Mr. Norrell, um mago recluso que desafia a todos com seus poderes. Para provar que a magia ainda existe, Mr. Norrell reúne os magos teóricos na catedral de York e faz com que as estátuas de pedra comecem a falar. Em troca de seu ato, exige a imediata dissolução da Sociedade de Magos. Agora com fama e poder, ele abandona a reclusão e vai para Londres, onde colabora com o governo no combate a Napoleão Bonaparte. Começa então a colocar em prática seu plano secreto de controlar a magia na Inglaterra. Tudo corre bem até que seu discípulo, o arrogante e impetuoso Jonathan Strange, resolve se rebelar contra a visão restrita de Norrell sobre o lugar destinado à magia. Strange decide seguir seu próprio rumo como mago e resgatar os poderes do lendário Rei Corvo, colocando em risco a si próprio, aos que o cercam e a toda a Inglaterra.

Fonte:Fundação Palavra Mágica

Eu tive uma relação estranha com este livro. Comprei logo que foi lançado, vi na livraria e fiquei super curiosa, comecei a ler mas acabei abandonado o livro na metade (e olha que li umas 400 páginas, o livro tem mais de 800!). Não tinha gostado, a história estava chata e não fluía. Comecei a ler outros livros, então abandonei de vez. Ano passado resolvi dar mais uma chance pro livro e pra minha surpresa eu adorei (até mesmo as 400 primeiras páginas!). É uma história de fantasia, em um mundo onde a magia existe, contada de forma bem sóbria para que tudo pareça bem real (tanto que tem inúmeras notas de rodapé em que são indicados os títulos dos livros citados como se tivessem realmente sido escritos e publicados!). Adorei o livro e queria muito uma continuação.

Eu tenho MUITA vontade de ler esse livro, pena que é tão caro. Inclusive perguntei sobre ele lá no Peça uma Opinião e a Clara V. falou bem. Não ando com muito tempo pra leituras - principalmente enormes assim - mas vou colocar como prioridade nas minhas próximas compras então!

Só de ter um "Harry Potter para adultos" já me faz ter vontade de ler, nunca tinha escutado sobre o livro.. Vou procurar pouco sobre ele, mas é tão caro assim?

Petra disse:
Só de ter um "Harry Potter para adultos" já me faz ter vontade de ler, nunca tinha escutado sobre o livro.. Vou procurar pouco sobre ele, mas é tão caro assim?

Bom, ele custa em média entre 60 e 70 reais. Considerando o tamanho do livro e comparando com preços de editoras como a Cosac ou a 34, não é caro não.
Mas pra mim, que atualmente não passo de uma bolsista voluntária de IC, é sim :think:

Esse é realmente um livro apaixonante, daqueles que quando a gente termina fica com saudades de quem ficou la dentro. Eu li ele aos pouquinhos... exatamente pra demorar a deixar a história.
Não sei mais o que dizer sobre ele sem contar e estragar o livro, mas recomendo.

Ele está bem carinho mesmo o que é péssimo, mas vale a pena. Não é uma história muito leve, até por causa das notas de rodapé que são muitas e chegam a té ser cansativas mas não deixam de ser boas, mas o livro é envolvente, os fatos históricos estão muito bem encaixados, os personagens são ótimos e a história fica cada vez melhor.

As comparações com Harry Poter são apenas por ambos tratarem de magia, e só. Não tem nada a ver uma história com a outra.

[align=justify]Não sei se não percebi isso nos posts anteriores, mas são dois livros que juntos dão 800 páginas ou cada um tem 800 páginas?[/align]

Não Lucas, nas verdade é um livro só de 815 páginas, se não me engano, é que foi lançado com duas versões de capas, brancas e pretas (a minha é a preta, mas eu acho as duas bem bonitas).

O Neil Gaiman pelo visto gostou do livro, hehe

Neil Gaiman: Why I love Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Neil Gaiman recalls his first meeting with Susanna Clarke and how he fell under the spell of her fantasy novel

When our story begins, I was a scribbling person, who made stories and such. I moved to the US from England in 1992 and I missed my friends, so I was exceedingly delighted when the post brought a large envelope from one of them, Colin Greenland. Mr Greenland had been one of the first persons I had encountered a decade earlier when I had stumbled into the worlds of science fiction and of fantasy: an elfin gentleman with a faintly piratical air, who wrote excellent books. Inside the envelope was a letter, in which Greenland explained that he had just taught a writing workshop, and that one of the writers at the workshop was a remarkable woman of great talent, and that he wished me to read her work. He enclosed an extract from a short story.

I read it, and wrote back, and demanded more.

This came as some surprise to Susanna Clarke, who had no idea that Colin had sent me an extract from “The Ladies of Grace Adieu”. Gamely, though, she sent me the rest of the story. I loved everything about it: the plot, the magic, the glorious way she put words together, and was particularly delighted by the information in the cover letter that she was writing a novel set in the world of the tale, and that it would be called Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell – so delighted that I sent the story to an editor of my acquaintance. He called her and asked to buy her story for an anthology he was editing.

I was excited by the prospect of meeting Clarke, and when I did finally meet her it was in the company of Greenland, who had, shortly after their first encounter, persuaded her to entertain his suit (an odd expression, now I come to write it down. I mean that they had become lovers and partners, not that he had removed his clothes and left them with her while she performed small puppet shows for them). From the stories of hers that I had read I was expecting someone of a fey disposition, perhaps slightly out of her own time, and was pleasantly surprised to meet a sharp, smart woman with a ready smile and easy wit, who loved to talk books and authors. I took particular delight in how well she understood high and low culture, and how comfortably she went between them, seeing them (correctly, in my opinion) not as opposites to be reconciled but as different ways of addressing the same ideas.

Neil Gaiman. Photograph: Sarah Lee Facebook Twitter Pinterest
Neil Gaiman. Photograph: Sarah Lee for the Guardian
For the next decade, people would ask me who my favourite authors were, and I would place Clarke on any lists I made, explaining that she had written short stories, only a handful but that each was a gem, that she was working on a novel, and that one day everyone would have heard of her. And by everyone, I meant only a small number of people, but those who counted. I assumed that the work of Clarke was a refined taste that would be too unusual and strange for the general public.

In February 2004, to my perplexity and my delight, the mail brought an advance, but finished, copy of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. I took my daughters on holiday to the Cayman Islands, and while they romped and swam in the surf, I was hundreds of years and thousands of miles away, in Regency York and in London and on the continent, experiencing nothing but the purest pleasure, wandering through the words and the things they brought with them, and eventually noticing that the paths and lanes of the story, with its footnotes and its fine phrases, had become a huge road, and it was taking me with it: 782 pages, and I enjoyed every page, and when the book was done I could happily have read 782 more. I loved the things she said and the things she did not say. I loved crabbed Norrell and, less feckless than he seems, Strange, and John Uskglass the Raven King, who is not in the title of the book unless he hides behind the ampersand, but who hovers there anyhow. I loved the supporting players, the footnotes, and the author – she is not, I am convinced, Clarke, but a character in her own right, writing her book closer to Strange and Norrell’s time than our own.

I wrote about the experience of reading the book in my online journal, and I wrote to Susanna’s editor telling her that it was to my mind the finest work of English fantasy written in the past 70 years. (I was thinking that the only thing it could be compared to was Hope Mirlees’s novel Lud-in-the-Mist. Sometimes people would ask me about Tolkien and I would explain that I did not, and do not, think of The Lord of the Rings as English fantasy but as high fantasy.) It was a novel about the reconciliation of the mundane and the miraculous, in which the world of faerie and the world of men are perhaps not as divided as they appear, but might simply be different ways of addressing the same thing.

I was right about how good a book it was, and how much people would like it. I was wrong about one thing, and one thing only, in that I had thought that Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell would be a book for the few – that it would touch only a handful of people, and those people deeply, and when they encountered each other they would speak of Arabella, or Stephen Black, or of Childermass or the Gentleman with the Thistle-Down Hair in the way that people talk of old acquaintances, and bonds of friendship would be formed between strangers. I daresay they do, and they are, but there are not a tiny handful of them but an army as big as Wellington’s, or bigger. The book became that rare thing, a fine and wonderful book that found its readers, all across the world, and was garlanded and lauded and awarded and acclaimed.

Fonte: The Guardian

Valinor 2023

Total arrecadado
R$2.434,79
Termina em:
Back