• Caro Visitante, por que não gastar alguns segundos e criar uma Conta no Fórum Valinor? Desta forma, além de não ver este aviso novamente, poderá participar de nossa comunidade, inserir suas opiniões e sugestões, fazendo parte deste que é um maiores Fóruns de Discussão do Brasil! Aproveite e cadastre-se já!

Especulação Spoilers, leaks e especulações

E pensar que tudo isso começou só no porque pedi pra ver as pernocas da Galadriel. Desculpa, gente

Ai, essa esquerda é fogo, né?
Difícil lidar com eles. Só de pensar já me deu vontade de tomar um Dreher.
Não, não sei, sim.
5MyQ.gif

Já desviamos muito do assunto então, vamos voltar agora.

Que isso essa usuária parece o Sejong de saias, e ainda tem um bot que curte tudo, não se satisfaz com nada, tem critica em cima da própria critica e acha que todo comentário "negativo" é sobre a criatura.
E ainda acha que mulher das décadas dos anos 1990 eram melhores. Me poupe e nos poupe.

Que isso essa usuária parece o Sejong de saias, e ainda tem um bot que curte tudo, não se satisfaz com nada, tem critica em cima da própria critica e acha que todo comentário "negativo" é sobre a criatura.
E ainda acha que mulher das décadas dos anos 1990 eram melhores. Me poupe e nos poupe.
Cada um com a sua própria opinião, por isso aqui é um fórum.

Uma dica pro pessoal. Eu estava tentando compartilhar links do youtube e não estava funcionando. Testei de outro site e funcionou normalmente. Só consegui compartilhar clicando no "compartilhar" abaixo do vídeo e em "copiar". Copiando da tela do vídeo ou na url não funcionou e dá mensagem que o vídeo não existe.

Por alguma estranha razão, hoje já eu consegui normalmente colar alguns. Do YouTube pelo menos; mas continuo não conseguindo pôr os links de outras páginas, quando copiadas direto do navegador. Testei agora e permanece o problema.
É que eu vi aqueles dois vídeos idênticos de gato na Matrix e achei que a mensagem estava em lugar errado. XD

O Corey Olsen parece estar dando um certo suporte e expertise pra galera da Amazon desde a saída do Shippey.

Ele é o pesquisador tolkieniano que teve a declaração sobre as barbas das anãs tirada fora de contexto pelo vídeo da IGN onde ele estava falando que o Tolkien não tinha dito nada sobre barba "nos apêndices" e essa parte foi cortada pela edição do site e as pessoas entenderam como se o Tolkien não tivesse feito declaração a esse respeito em lugar nenhum.

Aí nos comentários abaixo, o Carl Hostetter , editor do Nature of MIddle Earth ( que é conservador ao ponto de ser pró Trump) saiu discutindo o suposto "racismo estrutural" da Terra-média.

A discussão lá está ótima ( estava, pq acho que eles desabilitaram os comentários) e dá pra ver bem onde os dois lados do campo estão posicionados. E dá pra ver quem é que não se dá ao trabalho de realmente argumentar quando poderia e deveria fazê-lo. E chato é sentir que os dois lados têm um bocado de razão cada um de uma perspectiva diferente.

Eu espero que a galera da Amazon tenha o bom senso de aceitar críticas construtivas e fazer alguns course corrections durante a produção de futuras temporadas da série pra não cair na cilada de marketing e RP que foi o filme ultrafeminista dos Caça Fantasmas de 2016 que, basicamente, jogou fora toda a parte boa do trabalho feito lá por torná-lo inviável comercialmente.

Carl F. Hostetter

logged in via Facebook
At every stage of Tolkien’s legendarium, Elves awoke in the East. (To that extent, they can literally be considered Easterlings, in geographic terms.)
In most tellings, Men also awoke in the East (Easterlings), or in one telling, literally in Mesopotamia (and so, the Near East).
Now, it is true that Tolkien imagined that a great number of Elves subsequently migrated to the west. It’s also true that he imagined that some Men migrated to the west. And it is further true that Tolkien attributed superior wisdom and knowledge to those Elves that migrated west, and via their influence to Men that migrated west and interacted with those Elves.
SO: is Tolkien’s (supposedly stark) “moral line” (as claimed here) drawn along racial lines (i.e. pigmentation, which of course has nothing at all to do with race)? Or is it perhaps the case that it is drawn along geographical lines, due to closeness of contact with the migratory Elves?
In other words, is it possible that Tolkien thought that Easterlings and Southrons were more susceptible to Sauron’s corrupting influence, not because of the color of their skin, but rather because of their separation from Elves? (Which in fact in late writings Tolkien faults the Valar for causing!)

And if so, isn’t it just projection and confirmation bias to attribute the situation to racism? In other words, does doing so reverse cause (geographical separation from Elves) and effect (pigmentation) in Middle-earth?
I think it would be great if certain Tolkien scholars could discern in and credit Tolkien for the subtlety and nuance that he clearly possessed and expressed as a writer and thinker, instead of projecting their own ideas of what “a man of his time”“must” have thought and believed. Really, reading Tolkien in an informed and charitable light (i.e., giving him the benefit of the doubt, by accepting all that he said, in light of what we can know of his upbringing and beliefs) it’s very clear that he was not “racist” as regards the world of the 20th century; NOR is he “racist” as regards his fictive prehistory. He DOES have a firm moral stance as regards both histories, but that stance has nothing at all to do with race. His moral stance is open to anyone of any race, and it was rejected by many, even of the (supposed) “superior” race, in his fictive world. (Just as it is in ours.) If you thereby want to indict Tolkien as a “moralist”, well then, “guilty” as charged. But charging him as “racist”, you’re really just rejecting his moral beliefs, and implying that no other “races” share those beliefs. Which, well … just look to Africa.

E a resposta da Dimitra Fimi

Senior Lecturer in Fantasy and Children's Literature, Co-Director, Centre for Fantasy and the Fantastic, University of Glasgow

In reply to Carl F. Hostetter
The main objective of this piece is to contest the notion that POC either do not belong in Middle-earth or should play no other roles than Easterlings and Southrons.
The question of whether Tolkien was racist (personally, in terms of his own ideological stance and attitudes) is a different one from whether his mythology reproduced harmful racial stereotypes and tropes (some of which were commonly also reproduced as well as contested by many progressive writers of his generation).
One of the authors of this article (Dr Dimitra Fimi) has already addressed the “Was Tolkien really racist?” question in a nuanced and balanced way in a 2018 article in the very same media venue as this one (The Conversation), linked from the above article (but here is the link again for ease: https://theconversation.com/amp/was-tolkien-really-racist-108227). You will find there (and in her book: https://dimitrafimi.com/books/tolkien-race-and-cultural-history-2/, and in this keynote lecture, freely available on her website and also linked from the article above: http://dimitrafimi.com/revisiting-r...ultures-and-ideologies-in-an-imaginary-world/) a wider discussion of Tolkien’s own personal stance and on the wider topic of racial stereotypes in his mythology. This article focuses on the forthcoming TV adaptation.
The other author’s (Mariana Rios Maldonado) work on encounters with the Other in Tolkien’s work is ongoing and will be available publicly once her PhD thesis is completed (see her research summary here: https://www.gla.ac.uk/pgrs/marianariosmaldonado/#researchsummary)
There is also a wealth of scholarship on Tolkien and race/racism for a couple of decades now, of which you may want to inform yourself before adding your own arguments, if you wish. Some of the main arguments and approaches are summarised in Dr Robin Anne Reid’s bibliographic essay on this - see here: https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-61018-4_3
Kind regards,
Dr Dimitra Fimi and Mariana Rios Maldonado
E o reply do reply:
  • Carl F. Hostetter​

logged in via Facebook
    In reply to Dimitra Fimi
    I am (at least) quite as familiar with everything Tolkien wrote, and with the particulars of his life and times, as the aforementioned scholars, and so (at least) quite as well equipped to form and explicate opinions on these and many other matters in Tolkien studies, thanks.
    Kind regards,
    Mr. Carl F. Hostetter and no one else.

4 days ago
  • picture

Adam Whitehead​

logged in via Facebook
    In reply to Dimitra Fimi
    Whilst I agree with some of your points, I feel your tone here is - perhaps unintentionally - a little condescending. Mr. Hostetter is an extremely well-known Tolkien writer and academic, and is the recent editor of the very high-profile book The Nature of Middle-earth, as well as editing several high-profile Tolkien journals. I think you can disagree with his points without slighting his expertise.

3 days ago
  • picture

Carl F. Hostetter​

logged in via Facebook
    In reply to Adam Whitehead
    Thanks, but don’t don’t hold your breath. Once having become persona non grata to the “tolerant”, “progressive” Left. there’s really no way back that they will admit. (Not that I mind, because I can push forward on the rational, realist path of the actual world, which is far more significant!) Honestly. it’s affirming to be rejected by the Left, because that means you have a relationship to reality.
E um comentário do Hostetter que eu achei bem pertinente lá no Facebook:

Carl F. Hostetter
I will not cast aspersions on anyone's claim to be a Tolkien scholar, especially if they have written in a scholarly fashion about Tolkien (after all, I myself have no academic credentials related to Tolkien studies). I also have zero criticism of the actors portraying any of the characters, since they are playing the parts assigned to them: there's no reason at all to fault them for taking a job. What I DO object to is the idea that criticizing the casting can _only_ be motivated by racism (_ad hominem_) or that those who do so are "self-appointed gatekeepers" who are charged with believing that "they possess this automatic authority" (when in fact both these pseudo-arguments are themselves an act of "gatekeeping").

Última edição:
E falando nisso... Texto do Hostetter.

Eu, inocente, achando que esse tanto de posts no tópico eram discussões cabeça, chego aqui e tá uma feira! Dei altas risadas.
:lol:

Siga os links pra troca de afabilidades do Hostetter com os outros Tolkien scholars no meu post anterior . Diferente das interações webnáuticas entre nós, a "plebe", essa é daquelas que tem consequências, sequências e sequelas de longa duração.

Acho que esse vídeo aí resumiu bem alguns dos problemas da discussão.

E repostando ( a Mariana Maldonado, consultora atual oficial da Amazon e a Dimitra Fimi estavam participando dessa mesa redonda aí:

É praticamente um preview conceitual de toda a caracterização de Sauron na série da Amazon, discutindo motivos, métodos e arco histórico do personagem. Tb enfatiza que o elenco leu o Silmarillion como base pras interpretações mesmo que eles não possam usar nada do plot.

Última edição:

Valinor 2023

Total arrecadado
R$2.434,79
Termina em:
Back