• Caro Visitante, por que não gastar alguns segundos e criar uma Conta no Fórum Valinor? Desta forma, além de não ver este aviso novamente, poderá participar de nossa comunidade, inserir suas opiniões e sugestões, fazendo parte deste que é um maiores Fóruns de Discussão do Brasil! Aproveite e cadastre-se já!

Nichelle Nichols (1932 - 2022)

dermeister

Ent cara-de-pau
Notícia saiu há cerca de 1h, mas a Nichelle Nichols morreu ontem :/

Matéria do WaPo disse:
Nichelle Nichols, who played Uhura in ‘Star Trek’ franchise, dies at 89
She helped break ground on TV by showing a Black woman in a position of authority and who shared with co-star William Shatner one of the first interracial kisses on American prime-time television

By Adam Bernstein
July 31, 2022 at 3:10 p.m. EDT

Nichelle Nichols, an actress whose role as the communications chief Uhura in the original “Star Trek” franchise in the 1960s helped break ground on TV by showing a Black woman in a position of authority and who shared with co-star William Shatner one of the first interracial kisses on American prime-time television, died July 30 at 89.

Her son, Kyle Johnson, announced the death on Facebook. Her former agent Zachery McGinnis, who handled her appearances at conventions, also confirmed the death but did not have further details. Ms. Nichols had a stroke in 2015.

Ms. Nichols, a statuesque dancer and nightclub chanteuse, had a few acting credits when she was cast in “Star Trek.” She said she viewed the TV series as a “nice steppingstone” to Broadway stardom, hardly anticipating that a low-tech science-fiction show would become a cultural touchstone and bring her enduring recognition.

“Star Trek” was barrier-breaking in many ways. While other network programs of the era offered domestic witches and talking horses, “Star Trek” delivered allegorical tales about violence, prejudice and war — the roiling social issues of the era — in the guise of a 23rd-century intergalactic adventure. The show featured Black and Asian cast members in supporting but nonetheless visible, non-stereotypical roles.

Ms. Nichols worked with series creator Gene Roddenberry, her onetime lover, to imbue Uhura with authority — a striking departure for a Black TV actress when “Star Trek” debuted on NBC in 1966. Actress Whoopi Goldberg often said that when she saw “Star Trek” as an adolescent, she screamed to her family, “Come quick, come quick. There’s a Black lady on television and she ain’t no maid!”

On the bridge of the starship Enterprise, in a red minidress that permitted her to flaunt her dancer’s legs, Ms. Nichols stood out among the otherwise all-male officers. Uhura was presented matter-of-factly as fourth in command, exemplifying hopeful future when Blacks would enjoy full equality.

The show received middling reviews and ratings and was canceled after three seasons, but it became a TV mainstay in syndication. An animated “Star Trek” aired in the early 1970s, with Ms. Nichols voicing Uhura. Communities of fans known as “Trekkies” or “Trekkers” soon burst forth at large-scale conventions where they dressed in character.

Ms. Nichols reprised Uhura, promoted from lieutenant to commander, in six feature films between 1979 and 1991 that helped make “Star Trek” a juggernaut. She was joined by much of the original cast, which included Shatner as the heroic captain, James T. Kirk, and Leonard Nimoy as the half-human, half-Vulcan science officer Spock, DeForest Kelley as the acerbic Dr. McCoy, George Takei as the Enterprise’s helmsman Sulu, James Doohan as the chief engineer Scotty, and Walter Koenig as the navigator Chekov.

Ms. Nichols said Roddenberry allowed her to name Uhura, which she said was a feminized version of a Swahili word for “freedom.” She envisioned her character as a renowned linguist who, from a blinking console on the bridge, presides over a hidden communications staff in the spaceship’s bowels.

But by the end of the first season, she said, her role had been reduced to little more than a “glorified telephone operator in space,” remembered for her oft-quoted line to the captain, “Hailing frequencies open, sir.”

In her 1994 memoir, “Beyond Uhura,” she said that, during filming, her lines and those of other supporting actors were routinely cut. She blamed Shatner, whom she called an “insensitive hurtful egotist” who used his star-billing to hog the spotlight. She also said studio personnel tried to undermine her contract negotiating power by hiding her ample fan mail.

Years later, Ms. Nichols claimed in interviews that she had threatened to quit during the first season but reconsidered after meeting civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr. at an NAACP fundraiser. She said he introduced himself as a fan and grew visibly horrified when she explained her desire to abandon her role, one of the few non-servile parts for Blacks on television.

“Because of Martin,” she told the “Entertainment Tonight” website, “I looked at work differently. There was something more than just a job.”

Her most prominent “Star Trek” moment came in a 1968 episode, “Plato’s Stepchildren,” about a group of “superior” beings who use mind control to make the visiting Enterprise crew submit to their will. They force Kirk and Uhura, platonic colleagues, to kiss passionately.

In later decades, Ms. Nichols and Shatner touted the smooch as a landmark event that was highly controversial within the network. It garnered almost no public attention at the time, perhaps because of the show’s tepid ratings but also because Hollywood films had already broken such taboos. A year before the “Star Trek” episode, NBC had aired Nancy Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr. giving each other a peck on the lips during a TV special.

“Star Trek” went off the air in 1969, but Ms. Nichols’s continued association with Uhura at Trekkie conventions led to a NASA contract in 1977 to help recruit women and minorities to the nascent space shuttle astronaut corps.

NASA historians said its recruiting drive — the first since 1969 — had many prongs, and Ms. Nichols’s specific impact as a roving ambassador was modest. But the astronaut class of 1978 had six women, three Black men and one Asian American man among the 35 chosen.

Grace Dell Nichols, the daughter of a chemist and a homemaker, was born in Robbins, Ill., on Dec. 28, 1932, and grew up in nearby Chicago.

After studying classical ballet and Afro-Cuban dance, she made her professional debut at 14 at the College Inn, a high society Chicago supper club. Her performance, in a tribute to the pioneering Black dancer Katherine Dunham, reputedly impressed bandleader Duke Ellington, who was in the audience. A few years later, newly re-christened Nichelle, she briefly appeared in his traveling show as a dancer and singer.

At 18, she married Foster Johnson, a tap dancer 15 years her senior. They had a son before divorcing. As a single mother, Ms. Nichols continued working the grind of the nightclub circuit.

In the late 1950s, she moved to Los Angeles and entered a cultural milieu that included Pearl Bailey, Sidney Poitier and Sammy Davis Jr., with whom she had what she described as a “short, stormy, exciting” affair. She landed an uncredited role in director Otto Preminger’s film version of “Porgy and Bess” (1959) and assisted her then-boyfriend, actor and director Frank Silvera, in his theatrical stagings.

In 1963, she won a guest role on “The Lieutenant,” an NBC military drama created by Roddenberry. She began an affair with Roddenberry, who was married, but broke things off when she discovered he was also seriously involved with actress Majel Barrett. “I could not be the other woman to the other woman,” she wrote in “Beyond Uhura.” (Roddenberry later married Barrett, who played a nurse on “Star Trek.”)

Ms. Nichols’s second marriage, to songwriter and arranger Duke Mondy, ended in divorce. Besides her son, Kyle Johnson, an actor who starred in writer-director Gordon Parks’s 1969 film “The Learning Tree,” a complete list of survivors was not immediately available.

After her role on “Star Trek,” Ms. Nichols played a hard-boiled madame opposite Isaac Hayes in the 1974 blacksploitation film “Truck Turner.” For many years, she performed a one-woman show honoring Black entertainers such as Lena Horne, Eartha Kitt and Leontyne Price. She also was credited as co-author of two science-fiction novels featuring a heroine named Saturna.

Ms. Nichols did not appear in director J.J. Abrams’s “Star Trek” film reboot that included actress Zoe Saldana as Uhura. But she gamely continued to promote the franchise and spoke with candor about her part in a role that eclipsed all her others.

“If you’ve got to be typecast,” Ms. Nichols told the UPI news service, “at least it’s someone with dignity.”

Fonte: https://www.washingtonpost.com/obituaries/2022/07/31/nichelle-nichols-ukura-star-trek-dead/
Mirror: https://archive.is/ffUFS

Última edição:
Acho sempre importante colocar fotos, para aqueles que a primeira vista não se recordam de imediato ou não sabem a quem estamos nos referindo.

Que ela descanse em paz.

nichelle%2Bnichols%2Bstar%2Btreck.jpg

Aqui abaixo ao lado do inesquecível Leonard Nimoy e uma com toda a tripulação.

nichele%2Bnichols%2Bleonard%2Bnimoy.jpg

Star_Trek_OriginalSerie_Crew2013_freecomputerdesktopwallpaper_1680.jpg

Linda postagem do Bryant Burnette ( lembrando do documentário retrospectiva da Nichols no dia em que saiu o recente do Shatner):

In Brief: "Woman In Motion"​

I just watched

and thought it was terrific.

The notion of Star Trek having been as much a force for societal progress as it was a television show has been well-explored for many years now, and there's a natural tendency to wonder why anyone would need to hear it be re-emphasized once more.

Maybe there isn't; I don't know, maybe the story of Nichelle Nichols' involvement with NASA has been told numerous times before and I simply haven't encountered it. (I've not read her autobiography as yet, so that's the likeliest place for me to have missed it.) Let's assume that it's entirely possible that my lack of knowledge in this arena is entirely due to my own failures of exploration.

If not, though, then this documentary is proof that indeed there is a need to continue delving into those mines; there are still sizeable chunks of gold in there, evidently.

What happened was this: in the seventies, Nichelle Nichols had some critical words for NASA over the fact that there were no black or female (much less black female) astronauts. Somebody had the idea to use her in an effort to recruit minorities and females into the space program; she put a goodish amount of effort into doing so, and her labors are credited directly with bringing thousands of applicants to the program.

This is no minor thing. A number of these applicants actually became astronauts with the space shuttle program; Nichols spearheaded the effort which got them there. Think of that!

Think also of this: three of those men and women were aboard the Challenger when it exploded in 1986. There's a scene in which Nichols attempts to talk about this and cannot; if it does not move you, you may be a Vulcan. And even then, I know you're just repressing it.

The film obviously goes farther into the past even than that, recounting Nichols' feelings about being able to represent her race and gender on such a prominent show. She then also recounts her disappointment at being given so little to do on that show, and tells the story of how she was talked into staying on the series by no less a personage than Martin Luther King, Jr. He convinced her that what she was doing was important; she believed him, and stuck it out for all three seasons. Years later, due to the unique notoriety that Star Trek afforded, she was able to use her status to recruit actual astronauts for the American space program and bring diversity to its face for the first time.

What must the real-world impact of this have been? The film doesn't dwell on what-ifs all that much; it's more interested in letting Nichols present the facts as she recalls them, and while there's a good amount of sentiment and (well-earned) congratulation, I don't think I'd say the movie ever really buckles down and asks the question I just asked. I'm not complaining, mind you; it need not ask the question, because you're bound to ask it yourself as a result of seeing Woman In Motion.

Again: what must the real-world impact have been? How many children looked at these astronauts and felt inspired by them and moved to try to follow in their footsteps in some way? Even if they weren't moved to try to become astronauts, how many were moved to go into the sciences in some way? Or even just simply to think of themselves in a more positive light than they might have otherwise?

It would probably be easy to oversell this. I don't think Woman In Motion ever does. You know what else would be easy (and in this case very easy indeed)? To undersell it. The impact of Nichols' efforts is not measurable in total, but there is no question whatsoever that it exists, and that very idea kind of blows my mind. Nichols takes a role which proves to be a positive image; she then parlays that image into real-world change; that change inspires further change.

That being the case, how can anyone question the impact of Star Trek?

Trekkies get high on their own farts a lot. Or they used to, at any rate; I'm not sure they really exist in the same manner anymore. But certainly once upon a time (you know, back in the '10s), you couldn't bring up the subject of Star Trek without some wrinkly bastard singing the praises of the show for championing diversity and social progress and the like. I picture the average such person as wearing an elbow-patched sportcoat, a t-shirt, spectacles which dangle precariously on the end of his nose, and an ascot. He begins every sentence with "actually" and ends every sentence with "you know." He is tiresome and smells faintly of damp newspapers.

Thing is, he's not wrong. Star Trek really was special. Most of the spinoffs were special in one way or another as well -- and it might even be that the new shows are serving that purpose for some people nowadays, though I'm so cynical about them that I'd have a hard time seeing it even if they are -- but I do believe there was something about that original show that is one of a kind in American television.

Frankly, I thought that even before seeing Woman In Motion; after seeing it, I realized that the river ran deeper than I understood.

A few more thoughts:

• Uh ... guys, I, uh ... alright, look, I knew Nichelle Nichols was a fox. That was not news to me. I did NOT know she was still a fox in the late eighties. But boy howdy, she sure was. A good amount of interview footage is used from an interview she gave in 1989, and she is just gorgeous in it. So how come she looks kind of matronly and, well, old in The Final Frontier? She didn't in that interview. This is causing me some consternation.
  • Also on the Nichols-was-hot front, you see plenty of her in the seventies with a completely different hairstyle than you ever see her with as Uhura. All I can say is, golly.
  • Stick around through the end credits and you'll see/hear Nichols in a recording booth singing "Fly Me to the Moon." She's still got it!
  • I'm not the world's biggest Discovery fan -- or even a Discovery fan at all -- but it felt like maybe a bit of a missed opportunity that nobody interview Sonequa Martin-Green, Captain Michael Burnham herself. After all, whereas Uhura didn't get to do much other than mention the openness of the hailing frequencies, Burnham has an entire show built around her. Not particularly well, in my opinion, but there's zero chance that Nichols doesn't have some strong feelings about Burnham, and not much of one that Martin-Green doesn't have some strong feelings about Nichols. I'd have capitalized on that, personally.
  • Interviewed briefly: Mae Jemison, the first black woman in space, who credits Nichols directly with getting her there. Jemison even got to film a tiny part in an episode of The Next Generation years later! (And, I'll mention while I'm out here being a cretin, is a stonking babe in her own right.) How cool is that?
  • I'm not sure the name "William Shatner" was mentioned a single time, which is kind of satisfying. Look, I love Shatner like a baked potato loves butter, but it's somewhat refreshing for a TOS-centric Trek conversation to not have to involve him.
  • There's a great edit toward the beginning in which footage of one of the space shuttles in orbit cuts to the stars outside, which have been digitally manipulated to be the starfield from the TOS credits. The predictable thing happens, and I whooped.

Anyways, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Check it out! It's streaming on Paramount + as of now. Might be elsewhere also, for all I know, but it's definitely there.

You might to search for it, though. I'd subscribed to CBS All Access for years, but had not been a Paramount + subscriber until recently on account of how they weren't airing any new Trek. I wanted to see this movie, though, so I re-upped. And even though the Paramount + interface recognized me -- remembered that I'd been slowly watching my through Taxi, for example -- and therefore knew that I'd watched literally every single episode of Discovery, Short Treks, Picard, and Lower Decks and was therefore demonstrably a Trekkie, it did not have Woman In Motion visible to me as a suggestion. This means that unless a Paramount + subscriber -- even one who is literally just there for the Star Trek -- already knows about Woman In Motion and decides to seek it out, they will not be made aware of its existence by Paramount +.

This, my friends, is not a service that is dressing for success.

Still, I'm glad they brought this particular movie to their service. I just wish they were doing a little more to put it in front of people's eyes.

Última edição:

Anexos

• 1711233624778.png
    1711233624778.png
    116,2 KB · Visualizações: 0
Última edição:
Com certeza a Uhura inspirou muitas personagens, nas mais variadas áreas. Adorei essa montagem dela usando o uniforme da Nova Geração, ficou demais.

Com certeza a Uhura inspirou muitas personagens, nas mais variadas áreas. Adorei essa montagem dela usando o uniforme da Nova Geração, ficou demais.
A ligação da Ororo com Uhura tá confirmada aí já que Dave Cockrum, primeiro desenhista da Storm, tb era Trekkie e, inclusive, desenhou a adaptação do movie de 1979

Dave Cockrum, and a Secret Storm

Posted on May 10, 2016 by Mike Glyer

870f20012d463ff34c9dc0a2bfeb8799
Introduction: One of Star Trek’s earliest journalist/historians, chronicler of many epics, and a frequent File 770 contributor, recalls an encounter with fantasy legend, Dave Cockrum.
cockrum
Dave Cockrum
By James H. Burns: The late Dave Cockrum was a comics virtuoso, contributing to such classic titles as Superman, Batman, Spider-Man and The Avengers. He also created his own series, both science fiction adventures, The Futurians, and Soulsearchers and Company.
The artist’s greatest legacy may have been developing The New X-Men, in 1975, with Len Wein. Revising the super hero team that had been originated by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, Cockrum and Wein devised such characters as Storm, Nightcrawler and Colussus.
Dave also loved Star Trek.
An admiration, in fact, that may have had a greater influence on the world of (billion dollar) pop culture, than has been previously realized…
In February of 1976, Dave saw me at one of the original, classic Star Trek conventions, at New York’s fabled Commodore Hotel. He must have seen me hanging out with one of the show’s actors, because Dave — whom I had met only briefly, at a previous comics con — asked me if it would be possible for me to get a painting he had done, to Nichelle Nichols.
(Now, just for the sake of my own ridiculous ego, I have to point out that back then, I was only an early teen. I had begun writing professionally, not long before that, and more to the point — and a lot of confusion for folks, over the years — I looked like I was in my mid-twenties…)
uhura_vintage_pb7511115658_052c10b0b5
Dave was far more famous already than almost anyone who was on that hospitality suite floor of the hotel. I pointed out to him that I’d be glad to help, but since I didn’t really know Nichelle (at that point), all he’d really have to do was introduce himself to one of the folks running the convention, whom, I was sure, would be happy to introduce him, to the actress.
My memory’s foggy here, but I think I brought Dave over to one of the convention organizers….
Crystal clear to me, even then, though, was what struck me as the remarkable modesty of this fellow, who didn’t seem to begin to have an inkling that the folks running the convention would be thrilled that he was actually there, attending the event.
And I was also touched that this established professional loved something so much, that, really, just for the joy of creating it, he had taken the time to paint a huge, lovely canvas, of Star Trek’s only continuing female lead.
What’s also fascinating to consider is that when Cockrum, and Len Wein, relaunched the X-Men, many of the new lineup came from characters that Dave had been sketching/noodling with, for years…
If Cockrum loved Star Trek and Nichelle Nichols so much that he was moved to create a painting of her — I wonder how far the actress, and her portrayal of Lt. Uhura, could have been from his mind, as he doodled the delight that would one day become one of Marvel Comics’, and later Hollywood’s, first significant female super heroes?
The prototype for Storm was one of the characters that Dave had been drawing for ages.cockrum-outsiderscockrum-trio039-star-trek-theredlist COMP4782545244_e64204c9c9
[An earlier version of this reminiscence appeared in Roy Thomas’ Alter Ego magazine, from TwoMorrows, devoted to comics history!]

Última edição:
Ah, @Bilbo Bolseiro ... falando na trinca Claremont, Cockrum e Byrne já leu esses aí?

Essa no finzinho:

Valinor 2023

Total arrecadado
R$2.434,79
Termina em:
Back