• Caro Visitante, por que não gastar alguns segundos e criar uma Conta no Fórum Valinor? Desta forma, além de não ver este aviso novamente, poderá participar de nossa comunidade, inserir suas opiniões e sugestões, fazendo parte deste que é um maiores Fóruns de Discussão do Brasil! Aproveite e cadastre-se já!

Notícias Marvel's Shattered Empire Picks Up Right Where Return Of The Jedi Ended

Bruce Torres

Let's be alone together.
Marvel's Shattered Empire Picks Up Right Where Return Of The Jedi Ended

James Whitbrook
Filed to: STAR WARS 8/07/15 12:40pm

1375429743577828648.png1

As September gets closer with the beginning of the “Journey to Force Awakens”, we’re getting more of an idea of Disney’s post-Return of the Jedi world. One of the first tastes will be Marvel’sShattered Empire comic series, which introduces new heroes—and picks up the Star Wars story literally mid-Yub Nub.

Marvel have revealed a new textless preview of Shattered Empire’s first issue, which pretty much picks up during the end of Return of the Jedi—the Ewoks and Rebels are having a party on Endor, the Rebel fleet is chasing down Luke fleeing the exploding Death Star with his father’s body. It’s those same moments, from nearly 40 years ago, just in the pages of a comic book. Presumably the beginning pages of the books.

1375429743753871144.jpg

1375429743861026600.png

But it’s not really the preview that tells us anything about Shattered Empire, or what’s to come in the 30-year gap between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens. An accompanying interview on StarWars.com with series writer Greg Rucka, however, does give us some more to go on—more specifically, that the series will not focus on the efforts of Han, Luke, Leia and the major players of the films. Instead, the focus is on two new Rebel characters: Shara and Kes Bey, a husband-and-wife team of pilots who were present at the battle for Endor.

‘We’re gonna follow Luke for four issues after Return of the Jedi.’ That was never what my mandate here was. But, with that in mind, we see Luke, we see Leia, we see Lando, we see Han, we see Chewie. We see what they are doing, and while the stories are not about them — they’re about Shara Bey — the stories link. Issue 1 sort of stands alone. Issues 2 and 3 follow the same story path; they’re like a two-parter, and they lead into the fourth. As it stands, we meet Shara in [issue] 1 during the Battle of Endor, and we come out of the Battle of Endor, and then we cover about three to six months total in the series following the Battle of Endor. In that time, Shara and her husband find themselves in some situations only incidentally in the path of the principles [sic], and in other situations, working quite closely with them.

Shattered Empire, according to Rucka, will also help establish the immediate reaction to the Emperor and Darth Vader’s death from the Empire’s perspective, as we’re beginning to see teases of similar events in tie-in-novels and even phone games. Rucka once again:

The Empire still has resources. The Empire still has an enormous fleet. They may be in disarray post the Battle of Endor, but to think that in that vacuum people aren’t stepping up [is shortsighted].

All these people are not about to go, ‘Oh, well, I guess we were on the wrong side. It’s over, then.’ [Laughs] There’s a Moff out there who’s like, ‘Right. I’m emptying the bank accounts, I’m changing my name, and I’m going to Aruba.’ You know there is. But for every Moff who does that, there are five who say, ‘Like hell am I leaving this post. We’ve got stormtroopers for a reason. You get out there and you shoot every last one of these upstart insurgents, these terrorists, and you make clear to them that the rule of law still stands.’ So it does get ugly.

There’s much more in Rucka’s interview—including an implication that at some point Leia asks Rebel Leader Mon Mothma about that time she showed up in Revenge of the Sith and knew Leia’s real mom—but for now, the main takeaway is the picture Shattered Empire is start to paint for this new chapter of the Star Wars saga: What we thought was the end is just another beginning.

Star Wars: Shattered Empire #1 will be out September 2nd—go to the link below to see a few more preview pages and more from Rucka.

[Via StarWars.com]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meu comentário: Tenho a esperança de que saia algo bom daí. O Greg Rucka escreve ótimos roteiros de HQs - leiam Whiteout e Queen and Country.
** Posts duplicados combinados **
***************************************************************************************
BOOKS + COMICS // AUGUST 7, 2015
THE NEW GALAXY OF STAR WARS: SHATTERED EMPIRE: AN INTERVIEW WITH GREG RUCKA
THE WRITER OF MARVEL'S HIGHLY-ANTICIPATED SERIES TALKS TO STARWARS.COM ABOUT CRAFTING THE NEXT PHASE OF THE REBELLION -- AND OF A GALAXY FAR, FAR AWAY.
The destruction of the second Death Star and the death of the Emperor in Return of the Jedi wasn’t the end. It wasn’t the end of the Empire, it wasn’t the end of the Rebellion’s fight against tyranny. It wasn’t the end of Star Wars. It was actually a beginning.

Star Wars: Shattered Empire, a four-issue series from Marvel kicking off on September 2, is a big part of that beginning. It’s a tentpole story in the Journey toStar Wars: The Force Awakens publishing program, and picks up immediately after the Battle of Endor.

“When you’re young and you see Jedi,” series writer Greg Rucka tells StarWars.com, “you can look at the happy ending and go, ‘Hey, it’s over!’ But you get older and you start to think about it, and you realize, no it’s not. It’s not over at all.” That’s the basis of Shattered Empire, which follows new characters Kes and main protagonist Shara Bey — husband and wife Rebels — as the struggle for freedom continues.

“Shara flies, Kes is a ground-pounder, and a very experienced one,” says Rucka. “So, they have spent more time apart than together, and they’re in the Outer Rim world where the Imperial presence is felt, and they’re hoping that they can bring an end to this. But they’re both very tired veterans, and they come out of [the Battle of] Endor with the elation that we see in [Return of the Jedi]. ‘We’ve won. It’s over.’ — only to discover that, no it’s not. The Empire was huge.” Despite the fireworks, despite the funeral pyre of Darth Vader, despite the joy on Endor, the Empire is far from broken.

“The Empire still has resources. The Empire still has an enormous fleet,” Rucka says. “They may be in disarray post the Battle of Endor, but to think that in that vacuum people aren’t stepping up [is shortsighted].

“All these people are not about to go, ‘Oh, well, I guess we were on the wrong side. It’s over, then.’ [Laughs] There’s a Moff out there who’s like, ‘Right. I’m emptying the bank accounts, I’m changing my name, and I’m going to Aruba.’ You know there is. But for every Moff who does that, there are five who say, ‘Like hell am I leaving this post. We’ve got stormtroopers for a reason. You get out there and you shoot every last one of these upstart insurgents, these terrorists, and you make clear to them that the rule of law still stands.’ So it does get ugly.”

shattered-empire-1.jpe

Shattered Empire, illustrated by Marco Chechetto (see his beautiful art above and below),will cover this new ground in multiple ways: by showing how the Empire reacts when it’s down, and by showing how different worlds change after world-changing events. Rucka cites real history — the Arab Spring, the Soviet Bloc, North Korea — as influences in how he approaches depicting the state of the galaxy in the comic, as well as another factor in all dictatorships. “The other thing that I tend to look at is propaganda,” he says. “Who controls the airwaves? The Empire does. So, the Rebellion can be jumping up and down, and screaming at the top their lungs, ‘Palpatine is dead!’ But I guarantee you, that message didn’t reach 70 percent of the galaxy. It’s a rumor. It’s a whisper.”

The story evolved through Rucka’s pitches and collaboration with the Lucasfilm Story Group, particularly Rayne Roberts, Kiri Hart, Pablo Hidalgo, and Leland Chee, as they worked out everything from the political climate across the galaxy to different story beats. “We see, at the beginning of issue 2, the Alliance aiding in the liberation of a capitol city on a new world,” Rucka says. “Not a world we’ve visited in the films. We see there, a hint that the Empire has no intention of going quietly into that dark night. One assumes that there’s an uptick in support for the Alliance: people who are now willing to take up arms with the news that they [blew up the Death Star], the Emperor’s gone. ‘This is our chance.’ But by the same token, the Empire now has to double down. They cannot risk not defending what they hold with all their power, because they’ve got to know how tenuous their position is in these first couple of weeks after Endor. That’s something that Leland and Pablo specifically commented on. That, while there are places that will be able to rise up, there are places that start to and the cost is so punitive that it immediately fails, and there are others where they just don’t dare.”

While Rucka says that he went back and re-watched all of the films in preparation for Shattered Empire, he’s also taking cues from a much more recent Star Wars work: Star Wars Rebels, the animated series about a ragtag group that dares to strike back against the Empire. “I’ve been watching Rebelswith my family,” he says. “Rebels shows a canon tonality to the beginning of the beginning of the Rebellion. And if we look at Endor as the end of the beginning of the Rebellion, which, I think, is probably the smarter way to look at it, then that is a natural progression. But one of the other things that Rebels provides is a view, that has frankly [only] been speculated on, as to what it looked like once the Empire really came to full power. We never saw a macro view of the galaxy under Imperial control.” The influence of Rebels doesn’t end there, however.

“I had an interesting conversation with the Story Group a couple of weeks ago when we were going over notes about the Luke beat,” Rucka says. “It was just after the “Siege of Lothal” episode of Rebels had come out. We were having a discussion about what’s Luke’s power level post-Jedi, and is it comparable to Vader kicking the snot out of Kanan and Ezra? You drop these proto-chicken walkers on him, and he’s like, ‘Yeah, that’s not gonna work, either.’ [Laughs] Can Luke do that? Is Luke at that power level? The Story Group is incredible. They are really smart, passionate people, and have clearly put thought into it. So, we’re talking about it, and [they said] ‘Well, maybe this, but not that. We’ve never seen this — maybe you can do this with Luke.’ I love working in an environment like that.”

shattered-empire-2.jpe

While the series mainly follows Shara and Kes, that doesn’t mean we won’t be seeing a certain Jedi, scoundrel, princess, and all our favorites from the original trilogy. They’re all key figures in the Alliance, and will be represented. Just not in starring roles. “This is important,” Rucka says. “This could never be, as much as I wish I could’ve written, and would’ve loved to have written, the story of, ‘We’re gonna follow Luke for four issues after Return of the Jedi.’ That was never what my mandate here was. But, with that in mind, we see Luke, we see Leia, we see Lando, we see Han, we see Chewie. We see what they are doing, and while the stories are not about them — they’re about Shara Bey — the stories link. Issue 1 sort of stands alone. Issues 2 and 3 follow the same story path; they’re like a two-parter, and they lead into the fourth. As it stands, we meet Shara in [issue] 1 during the Battle of Endor, and we come out of the Battle of Endor, and then we cover about three to six months total in the series following the Battle of Endor. In that time, Shara and her husband find themselves in some situations only incidentally in the path of the principles, and in other situations, working quite closely with them.” Even in a smaller capacity, the writer is taking care to get things right with these classic characters.

“In that, I really wanted to honor the moment in the characters, but at the same time, I didn’t want to exploit them,” he says. “Because it’s not a lot of time and there’s a lot that’s been going on.”

To illustrate this, Rucka brings up the stories behind the stories. The events ofReturn of the Jedi were huge for Han, Luke, and Leia. All came to understand major truths and go through major changes. These truths and changes inform Shattered Empire. “There are moments that we don’t get to see that we know have to have happened,” he says. “If I do a good job and they like me, hopefully one day I get to write the scene where Leia goes to Mon Mothma and says, ‘So, it turns out you knew my mom?’ You know? That’s a great scene.

“When you start to think about it,” Rucka continues, “and you think about what Leia now knows coming out of the Battle of Endor, she’s got a lot on her plate. I mean, she’s got a lot on her plate, both as a war leader and as a politician following the Battle of Endor. But in the midst of all that, she’s got to reconcile the fact that her biological father is directly responsible for the destruction of the people that she’s always believed were her family, of her mother and father, of Alderaan, and everything else that Vader did. And once you start unpacking that, you’ve got this story of Padmé Naberrie, who is Padmé Amidala. That leads, inevitably, and it doesn’t have to be a big moment, to her going, ‘Wait a second,’ and that scene where she’s got to turn [to Mon Mothma] and say, ‘You were there. She was your friend. Who was she? I want to know.’ That’s a hidden scene. Someday, somebody will write that scene. That scene is not in Shattered Empire. There is an insinuation that that scene has occurred. I tried very hard to respect the canon and the logical extrapolations of it.”

This approach also follows for Shara and Kes, the characters he created. “There’s a backstory that I don’t actually ever see getting into the issues, and as it stands now, this is subject to change,” he says. “In my head, they joined after the victory at Yavin, and they joined after the victory at Yavin for a very specific reason. They had a cargo service that they ran and they had a newborn. They were like, ‘Well, what’s the future for our child going to be?'” Even if this origin is not set in stone, it represents an emotional core. Shara and Kes have something to fight for.

Star Wars works because for all the glory of this fantasy setting,” Rucka says, “the emotions of the characters and their stories are very real and plausible and tangible. We accept them. When Luke screams at the end of Empire, ‘No!’, that is a primal agony. You have to be an exceptional cynic to laugh at Hamill’s performance there…That’s a heart ripping open. That’s an emotion that is so honest and so true. When Star Wars is at its best, it carries that.

“I’ve got four issues,” he says. “I don’t know if I can ever touch that level of resonance and truth, but again, I want to honor that it exists. Shara Bey may be a pilot you never met before, but her emotions, her concerns, what she does, what she believes, are real. If I can convey that successfully then we’ll have a good story.”

shattered-empire-3.jpe

Rucka, a multiple Eisner winner, has written Batman, Superman, Wolverine. Comic-book icons. He’s written his own creator-owned titles. How does it feel for him — a huge Star Wars fan who cut school to see Return of the Jedi, has seen all six films “more times than I can count,” and has a massive action figure collection — to take his first steps into the larger world of a galaxy far, far away?

“There are few things that I’ve encountered in storytelling that engender as much passion and speculation as Star Wars,” he says. “I was thinking about this a lot, honestly. I’ve got a long track record in comics. I’ve worked at Marvel, I’ve worked at DC. And I have worked throughout my career at both places with artists and writers who grew up with these comics. They know them inside and out and they love them. They were their holy books growing up.

“As much as I love, and I do love, comics and DC and Marvel, that was never my religion growing up. Star Wars was always my religion. Star Wars was the mythology that I was most invested in. To have been given this honor, to come in and play in the universe — and the stuff we’re writing is canon — and to be able to add to it is something that I take very, very seriously. I take it remarkably seriously.”

From the sound of it, Shattered Empire will be a more than worthy addition to the story of the Rebellion’s fight against the Empire, and as significant for fans as it is for its writer.

“At every turn I have wanted nothing more than to honor the source material,” says Rucka, “and I want to build on it. I want to add to it in as constructive and as useful a way as I can.”

Dan Brooks is Lucasfilm’s senior content writer, and spends his days writing stuff for and around StarWars.com. He loves Star Wars, ELO, and the New York Rangers, Jets, and Yankees. Follow him on Twitter @dan_brooks where he rants about all these things.

Fonte: http://www.starwars.com/news/the-ne...shattered-empire-an-interview-with-greg-rucka

Shattered Empire Is Blending Star Wars Old And New In Some Interesting Ways
James Whitbrook
Filed to: STAR WARS10/16/15 9:40am

1476528250674716707.png

In a world where it almost feels like we’re getting new Star Wars content every other day, there seems to be a consensus that Disney is attempting to push aside the Prequel movies to focus on the original films and the franchise’s future. If you’re reading Shattered Empire though, it’d be hard to think that at all.

Spoilers ahead for Shattered Empire #3, out this week.

Shattered Empire, the four-part miniseries depicting the events that take place immediately after the Rebel Alliance’s victory in Return of the Jedi, has set its sights on one important prequel location in particular: Naboo, the homeworld of both Padmé Amidala and Emperor Palpatine.

In the last issue of the comic, the Imperials began enacting upon a plan set forth by Palpatine in the event of his death called Operation Cinder. If he dies, Naboo is supposed to be targeted by an advanced weather manipulation system that renders the planet inhospitable in a matter of hours. In unsurprising news, Emperor Palpatine was a goddamn jerk. So step forth the Rebel Alliance to save the day.

Leia and her new bodyguard, Shara Bey (mother of Force Awakens star Poe Dameron), head to the planet—and while thanks to other tie-in material we already know that Naboo will be saved, in the process of Shattered Empire #3, we get to see this cool blend of the Prequel Trilogy and the Classic Trilogy intermingle. The first moment we get is when Leia and the current Queen of Naboo, Soruna, open up the Palace Hanger first seen in The Phantom Menace, and in a nod to Leia’s burgeoning command of the Force, she gets a potent flashback to a familiar face:

1476528250887425827.png23

Which is very cool, and a nice, freshly-canonical confirmation that Leia has some Force powers she could develop in the three decades before The Force Awakens.

But it’s the next big focus of the issue that brings the connections to the prequels into a much starker relief. In order to stop Operation Cinder, Leia, Queen Soruna, and Shara take the last functioning Naboo starfighters left (sneaky Palpatine demilitarized the planet during his reign, apparently), and go on a suicidal mission to destroy the satellites affecting the atmosphere. They encounter the Star Destroyer in the header image above, and end up having to fight off swarms of TIE Fighters.

1476528250965043491.png4

It’s a strange, and yet oddly satisfying sight to see the yellow Naboo ships ofThe Phantom Menace flying between the classic imagery of TIE fighters, or to see Princess Leia wearing a Naboo pilot suit. This clean, slick technology matched up against the lived-in look of the old designs. As much as a certain section of fans rub their hands with glee at the prospect of the future films not referencing the events of the Prequel trilogy all that much, this is a vivid remind that whatever you think of the prequels, it’s still all Star Wars.

So far, Disney’s new Expanded Universe has, contrary to what some people think, done a very good job of not just acknowledging the Prequel movies, but embracing them and tying their elements into the wider world of Star Wars—and the future of the franchise—as a whole. But Shattered Empire has definitely given us some of those most potent connections so far.

The Marvel Comics Prequel to Star Wars: The Force Awakens Is Kinda Weird
Evan Narcisse
Filed to: STAR WARS 10/22/15 3:35pm

Ver anexo 1486523370858012591.png

The end of Star Wars: Episode VI made it seem like all that fighting between the Rebel Alliance and the Empire stopped once the credits rolled. Of course, wars don’t end quite like that. A Marvel Comics series that just ended this week features a few characters who will connect the old Star Wars movies to the upcoming one. But it’s still not clear how much anybody should care about them.

Months ago, Disney announced a crop of projects branded with a Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens imprint. The initiative spread out across different media, with the various stories bridging the time between Return of the Jedi andThe Force Awakens. Marvel Comics’ contribution to this canon build-out has been a series called Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Shattered Empire. Written by well-loved veteran Greg Rucka and drawn by Marco Checchetto and Andres Mossa, the four-part story focuses on two Rebel pilots named Kes Dameron and Shara Bey. They’re the parents of Poe Dameron, the rebel pilot played by Oscar Isaacs in The Force Awakens.

Ver anexo 1486523370967616175.png

The first issue of Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Shattered Empire opens during ROTJ’s climactic battle. Once the fighting’s all done, Kes and Shara are right there on Endor, talking up their romance amongst the rebels celebrating their seemingly decisive victory over the Empire. But both of them get assigned to various missions aimed to thwart the Emperor’s posthumous scorched-earth contingency plans.

Ver anexo 1486523370989490607.png

Large chunks of Shattered Empire feel like old-school war comics, complete with chaotic action scenes filled multiple tiers of high-stakes combat. It establishes Shara and Kes as formidable pilots but the constant scene-shifting makes it tough to get a feel for the couple’s personalities. You see them do cool things but don’t get a sense of their own journeys during the rebellion.

This week’s issue #4 offers a minor bit of lore teasing, in the form of Shara’s assignment with Luke Skywalker. It’s a stealth mission where Luke wants to recover something very special from an Imperial outpost.

Ver anexo 1486523371032558255.png

Ver anexo 1486523371056362927.png

The story ends with Luke gifting one of those Force saplings to Shara, who goes on to plant it near the new home she and Kes start after they leave active duty.

But that interaction exemplifies the befuddling in-betweenness of this series.Shattered Empire exists solely to place those two characters—one really, since Shara gets most of the spotlight—in close proximity to prominent heroes of the Star Wars saga. “Hey, look, it’s Kes and Han! They’re bantering!” “It’s Shara and Leia, taking out some stormtroopers. She sure earned Leia’s respect on Naboo, huh?” And so on.

All of this seems to be an extravagant way to set up Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and/or Mark Hammill to say, “I knew your mother/father. He/she was a good person.” While Poe Dameron will be a major character in the new Star Wars movie, it’s not even clear if his parents will get any screen time. Hopefully, they show up in another Star Wars story soon because it hardly feels like they were in this one.

Valinor 2023

Total arrecadado
R$2.434,79
Termina em:
Back