• Caro Visitante, por que não gastar alguns segundos e criar uma Conta no Fórum Valinor? Desta forma, além de não ver este aviso novamente, poderá participar de nossa comunidade, inserir suas opiniões e sugestões, fazendo parte deste que é um maiores Fóruns de Discussão do Brasil! Aproveite e cadastre-se já!

A Sociedade do Anel - Parte 1/2

"THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING" TRANSCRIPT

Prologue:

I amar prestar aen…

The world is changed.

han mathon ne nen…

I feel it in the water.

han mathon ne chae…

I feel it in the Earth.

a han noston ned gwilith.

I smell it in the air.

Much that once was is lost. For none now live who remember it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE LORD OF THE RINGS

It began with the forging of the great rings. Three were given to the Elves, immortal, wisest and fairest of all beings. Seven to the Dwarf lords, great miners and craftsmen of the mountain halls. And nine, nine rings were gifted to the race of Men who above all else, desire power. For within these rings, was bound the strength and will to govern each race. But they were all of them deceived, for another ring was made.

In the land of Mordor, in the fires of Mount Doom, the Dark Lord Sauron forged in secret a master ring, to control all others. And into this ring, he poured his cruelty, his malice and his will to dominate all life.

"One Ring to rule them all."

One by one, free lands in Middle-Earth fell to the power of the Ring. But there were some who resisted. A last alliance of Men and Elves marched against the armies of Mordor and on the slopes of Mount Doom, they fought for the freedom of Middle-Earth.

Victory was near. But the power of the ring could not be undone.

It was in this moment when all hope had faded, that Isildur, son of the King, took up his fathers sword.

Sauron, the enemy of the free-peoples of Middle-Earth was defeated. The Ring passed to Isildur, who had this one chance to destroy evil forever.

But the hearts of men are easily corrupted. And the ring of power has a will of its own. It betrayed Isildur to his death. And some things that should not have been forgotten were lost.

History became legend, legend became myth and for two and a half thousand years, the ring passed out of all knowledge. Until when chance came, it ensnared a new bearer.

[[Gollum: My Precioussssss]]

The Ring came to the creature Gollum, who took it deep into the tunnels of the Misty Mountains. And there, it consumed him.

[[Gollum: It came to me, my own, my love, my prrrrreciousssss!]]

The ring brought Gollum unnatural long life. For five hundred years, it poisoned his mind. And in the gloom of Gollums cave, it waited. Darkness crept back into the forest of the world. Rumor grew of a shadow in the east, whispers a nameless fear, and the Ring of Power perceived. Its time had now come.

It abandoned Gollum. But something happened then the Ring did not intend. It was picked up by the most unlikely creature imaginable.

[[Bilbo: What’s this?]]

A Hobbit: Bilbo Baggins of the Shire.

[[Bilbo: A ring.]]

[[Gollum: (from afar) Losssst!…My precious is lost!]]

For the time soon come when Hobbits will shape the fortunes of all.

[page]

THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING

The Shire…60 years later

[A hobbit, reading beneath a tree, hears a male voice singing. He runs to see who it is and finds an old man, wearing a gray cloak and a pointy hat, driving a cart filled with fireworks and suchlike]

Old Man: [singing] The road goes ever on and on down from the door where it began....

Hobbit: Youre late!

[The old man does not look at the Hobbit at first, and then turns slowly, with an emphatic expression on his face that begins to twitch]

Old Man: A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

[Both he and Frodo slowly begin to grin and crack up into laughter]

Frodo: [leaps onto cart and hugs the old man] Its wonderful to see you Gandalf!

Gandalf: You didn’t think I’ll miss your Uncle Bilbos birthday?

Frodo: What news of the outside world? Tell me everything.

Gandalf: Everything? But eager and curious for a hobbit, most unnatural. Well what can I tell you? Life in the wide world goes on much as it has this past age, full of its own comings and goings. Scarcely aware of the existence of hobbits..., which I am very thankful.

Hobbit folk: Look its Gandalf! Its Gandalf!

[Gandalf grins and tips his hat slightly]

[Hobbits raise a banner by the Party Tree that reads "Happy Birthday Bilbo Baggins." A hobbitess clasps her hands with pleasure and anticipation, looking at the sign.]

Gandalf: Ooh! The long expected party! So how is the old rascal? I hear there’s got to be a party of special magnificence.

Frodo: You know Bilbo, hes got the whole place in an uproar

Gandalf: Hmm, now well that should please him, hmmm.

Frodo: Half the Shires been invited.

Gandalf: Good gracious me!

Frodo: He is up to something.

Gandalf: Ooh really…

Frodo: All right then keep your secrets. [Gandalf laughs] Before you came along we Bagginses were very well thought of.

Gandalf: Indeed?

Frodo: Never had any adventures or did anything unexpected.

Gandalf: If you’re referring to the incident with the dragon, I was barely involved. All I did was give your uncle a little nudge out of the door.

Frodo: Whatever you did, you’ve been officially labeled a disturber of peace.

Gandalf: Oh really?

[Cart drives past grumpy old hobbit with grim look]

Hobbit children: Gandalf! Gandalf! Fireworks? Gandalf?

[Fireworks go off behind cart]
[Hobbit children cheer]
[Gandalf laughs]
[Grumpy old hobbit chuckles]
[Grumpy old hobbitwife comes out and gives a nagging look to grumpy old hobbit]
[Grumpy old hobbit restores grumpy grim look]

Frodo: Gandalf - Im glad youre back.

Gandalf: [as Frodo jumps off the cart] So am I, dear boy! So am I.

[page]

[Gandalf goes through a gate with a sign on it saying: "No admittance except on party business. He then knocks on the door]

[knock, knock, knock, knock]]

Bilbo: No thank you! We dont want any more visitors, well wishers or distant relations!

Gandalf: And what about very old friends?

[Bilbo opens the door]
Bilbo: Gandalf?

Gandalf: Bilbo Baggins!

Bilbo: My dear Gandalf! [gives Gandalf a hug]

Gandalf: Good to see you! One hundred and eleven years old --who would believed it? [looks at Bilbo in astonishment] You havent aged a day.

[Bilbo and Gandalf laughs]

Bilbo: Come on, come in! Welcome, welcome! *There we go/ *There we are/ *Well now. Tea? Or maybe something a little stronger? Ive got a few bottles of the old Winyard left. 1296 --very good year. Almost as old as I am! Hahaha! It was laid down by my father. What say we open one, eh? [*note to reader: these lines are the different versions heard by audiences worldwide]

Gandalf: Just tea, thank you.

[Gandalf backs into the chandelier. He steadies it but then bumps his head onto the beam. Nursing the pain he enters Bilbo’s study and sees the map of the Lonely Mountain. Bilbo was puttering around in the kitchen]

Bilbo: I was expecting you here last week! Not that it matters, you come and go as you please. Always have done and always will. You caught me a bit unprepared, Im afraid. We have some old chicken and pickles... Heres some cheese - oh no it wont do. There we got brussels(?) and jam and... Not much for afterlunch - oh no! Were all right, I have some cake. I can make you some eggs if you like-- oh. Gandalf?

Gandalf: Just tea, thank you.

Bilbo: All right! You dont mind if I eat, do you?

Gandalf: Oh no, not at all.

[Theres a knock on the door and a woman shouting: "Bilbo! Bilbo Baggins!]

Bilbo: [whispers] Im not at home!

Bilbo: Ive got to get away from these confounded relatives hanging on the bell--they never give me a moments peace! I want to see mountains again, mountains Gandalf! And then find somewhere quiet where I can finish my book. Oh, tea!

Gandalf: So, you mean to go through with your plan, then.

Bilbo: Yes, yes. Its all in hand. All the arrangements are made. [starts to pour water into the tea pot, Gandalf opens the lid] Oh, thank you.

Gandalf: Frodo suspects something.

Bilbo: ‘Course he does. Hes a Baggins. Not some block-headed Bracegirdle from Hardbottle.

[page]

Gandalf: You will tell him, wont you?

Bilbo: Yes, yes.

Gandalf: Hes very fond of you.

Bilbo: I know. Hed probably come with me if I asked him [chuckles]. I think in his heart Frodo is still in love with the Shire: the woods, the fields, the two rivers. Im old Gandalf. I know I dont look it but Im beginning to feel it in my heart. I feel thin --sort of stretched like butter scraped over too much bread. I need a holiday, a very long holiday. And I dont expect I shall return. In fact, I mean not to.

[Evening came. Outside, Gandalf and Bilbo are sitting and smoking pipe]

Bilbo: Old Toby. The finest weed in the Southfarthing.

[Bilbo first blows a ring of smoke and Gandalf a smoke ship that sails through it]

Bilbo: Gandalf, my old friend. This will be a night to remember!

[Scene goes to Bilbo’s party and the fireworks are going off and festivities are well underway]

Bilbo: [to guest] Hello, hello, lovely to see you! Welcome, welcome!

[Frodo sees his friend Sam sitting alone, looking at hobbitlass Rosie Cotton dancing]

Frodo: Go on Sam, ask Rosie for a dance.

Sam: [gets cold feet] I think I’ll just have another ale.

Frodo: Oh no you don’t. Go on. [pushes Sam to the dance floor]

Frodo: [laughs]

Gandalf: whoa!

[huge fireworks]

Bilbo: There I was, at the mercy of three monstrous trolls, and they were all arguing amongst themselves about how they were going to cook us, whether it be turned on a spit or whether they should sit on us one by one and squash us into jelly.

Cutie-pie Hobbit: [shakes her head emphatically]

Bilbo: They spent so much time arguing the weather to’s and why-fore’s that when the sun’s first light cracked over the top of the trees and poof!

Hobbit Children: [gasp]

Bilbo: It turned them all to stone!

Gandalf: [laughs, grabbing more fireworks]

[Merry Brandybuck comes from behind, signaling Pippin Took to get onto Gandalf’s cart]

Merry: Quickly!

Gandalf: [to the hobbit children] Whoa! Off they go.

Merry: No, no the big one, big one

Pippin: Done.

[Inside the tent]
Merry: You’re supposed to stick it in the ground!

Pippin: It is in the ground.

Merry: Outside!

Pippin: It was your idea!

[The firework goes up, throwing Merry and Pippin onto the ground. The firework turns into a shape of a dragon and turns towards the merrymakers. Hobbits see this and try to get out of the way]

Frodo: Bilbo? Bilbo, look out for the dragon!

Bilbo: Dragon? Nonsense! There hasn’t been a dragon in these parts for a thousand years…

[page]

[Frodo pushes Bilbo to the ground. The dragon flies off and bursts into a beautiful firework. Hobbits clap in amusement]

Merry: That was good. Let’s get another one!

[Gandalf comes behind and grabs their ears]

Merry and Pippin: Aah!

Gandalf: Meriadoc Brandybuck and Peregrin Took. I might have known.

[As Merry and Pippin wash the plates, the other Hobbits are gathered near the party tree]

Hobbits: Speech, Bilbo!

Hobbits: Speech!

Frodo: Speech!

Bilbo: My dear Bagginses and Boffins, Tooks and Brandybucks, Grubbs, Chubbs, Hornblowers, Bolgers, Bracegirdles and Proudfoots.

Proudfoot Hobbit: Proudfeet!

Bilbo: Today is my 111th birthday!

Hobbits: Happy birthday!

Hobbit: Happy birthday!

Bilbo: Alas, eleventy-one years is far too short a time to live among such excellent and admirable hobbits. [cheers] I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. [dead silence from the crowd]

Bilbo: I, uh, I h-have things to do. [whispers to himself] I’ve put this off for far too long. I regret to announce this is the end. I am going now. I bid you all a very fond farewell. [whispers]Goodbye. [Puts on the ring and vanishes]

Hobbits: [shocked] Ooh!

[Bilbo, invisible, leaves the party and returns to Bag End. Next scene shows Bag-End interior]

Bilbo: Hahahahaha! [flips the ring, catches it and puts it in his pocket]

Gandalf: I suppose you think that was terribly clever.

Bilbo: Come on Gandalf! Did you see their faces?

Gandalf: There are many magic rings in this world Bilbo Baggins and none of them should be used lightly.

Bilbo: It was just a bit of fun, oh you’re probably right as usual. You will keep an eye on Frodo, won’t you?

Gandalf: Two eyes, as often as I can spare them.

Bilbo: I’m leaving everything to him.

Gandalf: What about this ring of yours, is that staying too?

Bilbo: Yes yes. It’s in an envelope over there on the mantelpiece.

Bilbo: No, wait, its --here in my pocket. Heh, Isn’t that, isn’t that odd though? Yet, after all why not? Why shouldn’t I keep it?

Gandalf: I think you should leave the ring behind, Bilbo. Is that so hard?

Bilbo: Well no… and yes! Now it comes to it, I don’t feel like parting with it, its mine, I found it, it came to me!

Gandalf: There’s no need to get angry.

Bilbo: What if I’m angry it’s your fault! Its mine, my own, my precious.

Gandalf: Precious? Its been called that before, but not by you.

Bilbo: Argh! What business is it of yours what I do with my own things!

Gandalf: I think you’ve had that ring quite long enough.

Bilbo: You want it for yourself!

Gandalf: Bilbo Baggins! Do not take me for some conjurer of cheap tricks, I am not trying to rob you. I’m trying to help you.

Bilbo: [starts crying]

[page]

Gandalf: All your long years we’ve been friends. Trust me as you once did, hmm? Let it go.

Bilbo: You’re right Gandalf, the ring must go to Frodo. It’s late, the road is long, Yes, it is time.

[Bilbo opens the door]

Gandalf: Bilbo…

Bilbo: Hmm?

Gandalf: …the ring is still in your pocket.

Bilbo: Oh, yes…

[Bilbo pulls out the ring from his pocket. He stares at it on his palm, then allows it to slip out of his hand. It lands with a loud thud]

[Bilbo runs out the door, then stops]

Bilbo: I’ve thought of an ending for my book – and he lived happily ever after…to the end of his days.

Gandalf: And I’m sure you will my dear friend.

Bilbo: Good bye, Gandalf.

Gandalf: Good bye, dear Bilbo.

Bilbo: [singing]The road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began…

Gandalf: Till our next meeting.

[Gandalf re-enters Bag End. He stoops to pick up the ring but stops short when the Eye of Sauron flashes in his eyes]

[Gandalf sits himself by the fireplace]

[Voice over of Bilbo: Its mine, my own, my Precious!]

Gandalf: [mumbles] Riddles in the Dark.

[Frodo is heard entering Bag End]

Frodo: Bilbo! Bilbo!

[Frodo sees the ring and stoops to pick it up]

Gandalf (mumbles): My precious.

[Frodo notices Gandalf smoking by the fireplace, approaches him]

Gandalf (mumbles): Precious…

Frodo: Hes gone hasnt he? He talked for so long about leaving. I didnt think hed really do it.

Frodo: Gandalf?

Gandalf: Hmm. [smiles at Frodo] Bilbos ring. Hes gone to stay with the elves. Hes left you Bag End… [holds envelope open, Frodo slips in the ring, Gandalf seals the envelope] …along with all his possessions. The ring is yours now. Put it somewhere out of sight.

[Gandalf gets up to leave]

Frodo: Where are you going?

Gandalf: There are some things that I must see to.

Frodo: What things?

Gandalf: Questions. Questions that need answering!

Frodo: But youve only just arrived! I dont understand.

Gandalf: Neither do I. Keep it secret. Keep it safe.
[Gandalf leaves Bag End. Frodo looks at the envelope in his hand, containing the ring]

[At the dungeons of Barad-Dur]

[Gollum’s voice is heard as he is tortured]

Gollum: Shire!!! Baggins!!!
[Gates of Minas Morgul opens. The Ringwraiths ride out to find the ring]

[page]

[Gandalf rode to the outskirts of Mount Doom to observe the activity that is going on and finally head of to Minas Tirith to study its ancient scrolls]

Gandalf: [voice over]Year 3434 of the Second Age. Here follows the account of Isildur, High King of Gondor and the finding of the ring of power. It has come to me, the One Ring. It shall be the heirloom of my kingdom. All that who should follow in my bloodline shall be bound to its fate for I will risk no hurt to the ring. It is precious to me, though I buy it with a great pain. The markings upon the band begin to fade. The writing, which at first was as clear as red flame, has all but disappeared, a secret now that only fire can tell.

[Back at the Shire]

[Hobbit chopping wood. Dog barks incessantly, then backs off]

Ringwraith: Shire. Baggins

Hobbit: Baggins. There are no Baggins ‘round here. They’re up in Hobbiton, that way. [points]

[Ringwraith rides off]

[At the Green Dragon Inn - Frodo and Sam are leaving]

Rosie: Goodnight.

Sam: Goodnight.

[Frodo and Sam stagger to Bag End]

Sam: Goodnight.

Frodo: Goodnight Sam.

[Frodo comes up the steps, opens the door and notices that the house seems to have been broken into]

[Gandalf grabs him from behind ]

Frodo: Huh?!

Gandalf: Is it secret? Is it safe?!

[Frodo opens a chest, searches through it and finds the envelope]

Frodo: Ah! [hands Gandalf the envelope]

(Gandalf throws the envelope to the fire)

Frodo: What are you doing?

[Gandalf gets a pair of tongs and picks up the ring]

Gandalf: Hold out your hand Frodo, it’s quite cool. What can you see? Can you see anything?

Frodo: Nothing. Theres nothing... wait. There are markings. Its some form of elvish. I can’t read it.

Gandalf: There are few who can. The language is that of Mordor, which I will not utter here.

Frodo: Mordor?

Gandalf: In the common tongue it says, "One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them. One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them."

Gandalf: This is the One Ring. Forged by the Dark Lord Sauron in the fires of Mount Doom. Taken by Isildur from the hand of Sauron himself.

Frodo: Bilbo found it. In Gollums cave.

Gandalf: Yes. Sixty years the ring lay quiet in Bilbos keeping, prolonging his life, delaying old age. But no longer Frodo. Evil is stirring in Mordor. The ring has awoken. Its heard its masters call.

Frodo: But he was destroyed. Sauron was destroyed.

Ring: [whispers] Isildur…

[Both Gandalf and Frodo look at it]

[page]

Gandalf: No, Frodo. The spirit of Sauron endured. His life force is bound to the ring and the ring survived. Sauron has returned. His orcs have multiplied. His fortress of Barad-Dur is rebuilt in the land of Mordor. Sauron needs only this ring to cover all the lands of a second darkness. He is seeking it. Seeking it, all his thought is bent on it. The ring yearns above all else to return to the hand of its master. They are one, the ring and the dark lord. Frodo, he must never find it.

Frodo: Alright, we put it away, we keep it hidden. We never speak of it again. No one knows its here, do they? Do they Gandalf?

Gandalf: There is one other who knew that Bilbo had the ring. I looked everywhere for the creature Gollum. But the enemy found him first. I don’t know how long they tortured him. Amidst the endless screams and inane babble, they discerned two words.

[Scene flashes to Gollum’s torture]
Gollum: Shire!!! Baggins!!!

Frodo: Shire. Baggins. But that would lead them here!

[cuts to the Ringwraiths riding up to a Hobbit along the road]

Hobbit: Who goes there?

[the Ringwraith chops off the hobbit’s head]

[cuts back to Bag End]

Frodo: Take it Gandalf! Take it!

Gandalf: No Frodo no.

Frodo: You must take it!

Gandalf: You cannot offer me this ring!

Frodo: Im giving it to you!

Gandalf: Dont tempt me Frodo! I dare not take it. Not even to keep it safe. Understand Frodo, I would use this ring from the desire to do good. But through me, it would wield a power to great and terrible to imagine.

Frodo: But it cannot stay in the Shire!

Gandalf: No! No it cant.

Frodo: What must I do?

[scene goes to Frodo rushing about trying to pack for his journey]

Gandalf: You must leave and leave quickly.

Frodo: Where? Where do I go?

Gandalf: Get out of the Shire. Make for it to Bree.

Frodo: Bree. What about you?

Gandalf: Ill be waiting for you, at the Inn of the Prancing Pony.

Frodo: And the ring will be safe there?

Gandalf: I dont know Frodo. I dont have any answers. I must see the head of my order. He is both wise and powerful. Trust me Frodo, youll know what to do. You’ll have to leave the name of Baggins behind you, for that name is not safe outside the Shire. Travel only by day. And stay off the road.

Frodo: I can cut across country easily enough.

Gandalf: My dear Frodo. Hobbits really are amazing creatures! You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. [hears rustling of the leaves] Get down!

[Gandalf goes to the window and gives the bushes a whack with his staff.

Sam: Oooff!!

[Gandalf drags Sam up by his hair and plops him down onto the table]

Gandalf: Confound it all Samwise Gamgee! You’ve been evesdropping?!

Sam: I have been droppin no eves sir, honest. I was just cutting the grass under the window there, if you follow me.

[page]

Gandalf: A little late for trimming the verge don’t you think?

Sam: I heard raised voices.

Gandalf: What did you hear?! Speak!!!!

Sam: N-n-n-nothing important. That is I heard a good deal about a ring and a dark lord and something about the end of the world. But please Mister Gandalf sir, don’t hurt me. Don’t turn me into anythin’ --unnatural.

Gandalf: No, perhaps not. I have thought of a better use for you…

[Cuts to the scene outside the following morning]

Gandalf: Come along Samwise, keep up! Be careful both of you. The enemy has many spies in his service: birds, beasts. [turns to Frodo] Is it safe? [Frodo pats his breast pocket] Never put it on, for the agents of the dark lord will be drawn to its power. Always remember, Frodo, the ring is trying to get back to its master. It wants to be found.
[Gandalf rides off, leaving Frodo and Sam in the forest]

[Frodo and Sam treks along countryside and streams]

[Frodo walking along the field, Sam slightly behind]

Sam: This is it.

Frodo: This is what?

Sam: I take one more step, it would be the farthest away from home I’ve ever been.

Frodo: Come on Sam. Remember what Bilbo used to say: "Its a dangerous business…[segues to Bilbo’s voice] …Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road and if you don’t keep your feet, theres no knowing where you might be swept off to."

[Gandalf rides swiftly into Isengard. Saruman descending down the steps of Orthanc to meet him]

Saruman: Smoke rises from the mountain of Doom. The hour grows late and Gandalf the Grey rides to Isengard seeking my counsel. For that is why you have come, is it not...my old friend?

Gandalf: Saruman. [bows]

[Gandalf and Saruman are walking through the Gardens of Isengard]

Saruman: You are sure of this?

Gandalf: Beyond any doubt.

Saruman: The ring of power has been found.

Gandalf: All these long years it was in the Shire, under my very nose.

Saruman: Yet you did not have the wit to see it. Your love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind.

Gandalf: But we still have time. Time enough to counter Sauron if we act quickly.

Saruman: Time?! What time do you think we have?

[Gandalf and Saruman are conferring in Sarumans chambers]

Saruman: Sauron has regained much of his former strength. He cannot yet take physical form, but his spirit has lost none of its potency. Concealed within his fortress, the Lord of Mordor sees all -- his gaze pierces cloud, shadow, earth and flesh. You know of what I speak, Gandalf -- a great Eye... lidless... wreathed in flame.

Gandalf: The Eye of Sauron.

Saruman: He is gathering all evil to him. Very soon he will summon an army great enough to launch an assault upon Middle Earth.

Gandalf: You know this? How?

Saruman: I have seen it.

[page]

[Gandalf and Saruman enter the chamber of the Palantir]

Gandalf: A palantir is a dangerous tool, Saruman.

Saruman: Why? Why should we fear to use it?

[Unveils the Palantir]

Gandalf: They are not all accounted for, the lost seeing stones. We do not know who else may be watching!

[Covers the Palantir, eye of Sauron flashes briefly]

Saruman: The hour is later than you think. Saurons forces are already moving. The Nine have left Minas Morgul.

Gandalf: The Nine!

Saruman: They crossed the River Isen on Midsummers Eve, disguised as riders in black.

Gandalf: Theyve reached the Shire?!

Saruman: They will find the ring...and kill the one who carries it.

Gandalf: Frodo!

[Gandalf heads towards the door but Saruman closes it with his mind and the other doors in turn]

Saruman: You did not seriously think that a hobbit could contend with the will of Sauron. There are none who can. Against the power of Mordor there can be no victory. We must join with him, Gandalf. We must join with Sauron. It would be wise, my friend.

Gandalf: Tell me, friend, when did Saruman the wise abandon reason for madness?!

[With a shout from Saruman the battle of the Wizards begins. Saruman gains the upper hand] PRIVATE "TYPE=PICT;ALT="

Saruman: I gave you the chance of aiding me willingly. But you...have elected...the way of pain!
[Saruman sends Gandalf rising to the pinnacle of Orthanc]

[Back at the Shire. Sam emerges from a field of corn]
Sam: Mister Frodo? Frodo! Frodo!

[Frodo emerges from the bend]

Sam: [sigh] I thought I’d lost you.

Frodo: What are you talking about?

Sam: Its just something Gandalf said.

Frodo: What did he say?

Sam: "Don’t you lose him Samwise Gamgee!" And I dont mean to.

Frodo: Sam were still in the Shire. What could possibly happen?

(Merry and Pippin bumped into both Sam and Frodo)
Pippin: Frodo? Merry! Its Frodo Baggins.

Merry: Hello Frodo!

Sam: Get of him! [hauls Pippin off Frodo] Frodo? Are you alright?

Pippin: Whats the meaning of this?

Merry: Hold this. [hands vegetables to Sam]

Sam: Youve been into Farmer Maggots crop!

[They hear a dog barking and an angry, yelling voice. Pippin gets Frodo and runs, followed by Merry. Sam does a double take on the produce in his hands, drops them and runs after the others]

Farmer Maggot: [brandishing a sickle] Wait till I get this through you!…Stay out of my fields! You ruffians I’ll catch up with you!

Merry: Dunno why he is so upset. It’s only a couple of carrots!

Pippin: And some cabbages. And those few bags of potatoes that we lifted last week and, and the mushrooms the week before!

Merry: Yes Pippin! My point is, he is clearly overreactin’. Run!

[page]

[Pippin, Frodo and Merry stops just before the edge of the hill. Sam slams into them from behind and all four hobbits roll down the hill]

Pippin: Ooh! That was close

Merry: Ow! I think Ive broken something. [pulls out a broken carrot]

Sam: Trust a Brandybuck and a Took!

Merry: What?! That was just a detour, a shortcut.

Sam: A shortcut to what?

Pippin: Mushrooms!!!

[Sam and Merry rush towards the mushrooms, followed by Pippin]

[Frodo, standing, looks down the road]

Pippin: That’s mine!

Hobbits: Mmm…

Merry: Here is a nice one Sam.

Frodo: I think we should get off the road.

[Sounds of the Nazgul can be heard, coming up the road]

Frodo: Get off the road! Quick!

[Hobbits hide beneath a root of a tree. A Nazgul approaches and stops, sniffing and hearing. Insects and earthworms started coming out of their holes]
[Frodo goes into a trance, tempted to wear the ring. Sam stops him. Merry throws a bag away to distract the Nazgul. Nazgul follows the sound. Hobbits make a break for it]

Merry: What was that?

[Frodo stares at the ring on his palm]

[Nightfall. A Nazgul is patrolling the area]
[Hobbits hide behind trees]

Pippin: Anything?

Frodo: Nothing.

Pippin: What is going on?

Merry: That Black Rider was looking for something… or someone. Frodo?

Pippin: Get down!

[Nazgul feigns leaving the area]

Frodo: I have to leave the Shire. Sam and I have must get to Bree.

Merry: Right. Buckleberry Ferry. Follow me.

[Hobbits make their way to Buckleberry ferry. A second Nazgul suddenly appears along their path. Frodo is delayed as the others run on. Hobbits jump over the fence. Runs towards the river. The Nazgul follows the chase, hot on Frodo’s heels]

[page]

Pippin: Run! This way, follow me! Run!

Merry: Get the rope Sam!

Sam: Frodo!

Hobbits: Run Frodo!

Frodo: Go!

Hobbits: Hurry!

Sam: Frodo!

Hobbits: Jump Frodo! Go on faster! Jump!

[Frodo leaps onto the raft. The Nazgul stops short of the water]
[Looking back the hobbits see the Nazgul ride away, followed by two more riders]

Frodo: How far to the nearest crossing?

Merry: Brandywine Bridge: Twenty miles.

[Hobbits arrive at the west gate of Bree, soaking wet due to the rain]

Frodo: Come on.

[Knocks on the gates]

Gatekeeper: What do you want?

Frodo: We’re heading for the Prancing Pony.

Gatekeeper: Hobbits! Four hobbits! What business brings you to Bree?

Frodo: We wish to stay at the inn. Our business is our own.

Gatekeeper: Alright young sir, I meant no offence. ‘Tis my job to ask question after nightfall. There’s talk of strange folk abroad. Can’t be too careful.

[Hobbits come up the cobble stone path, working their way through the crowd]

Men of Bree: Move! Watch where youre going!

[Hobbits enter the Prancing Pony]

Frodo: Excuse me?

Butterbur: Good evening little masters! If you’re seeking accommodation then we got some nice cozy hobbit sized rooms available. Mr. uh--

Frodo: --Underhill, my name’s Underhill.

Butterbur: Underhill. Hmm.

Frodo: We’re friends of Gandalf the Grey. Can you tell him we’ve arrived?

Butterbur: Gandalf? Gandalf? Ohhh yes! I remember, elderly chap, big gray beard, pointy hat. Not seen him for 6 months.

[The hobbits were surprised. Worry crosses their faces]
Sam: What do we do now?

[Hobbits sitting at the table]

Frodo: Sam. He’ll be here. He’ll come.

[page]

Man: [to Merry] Get, get out of my way.

[Merry brings a mug filled with beer]

Pippin: What’s that?

Merry: This my friend, is a pint.

Pippin: It comes in pints? I’m getting one.

Sam: You had a whole half already!

[Pippin rushes to the bar]

Sam: That fellow’s done nothin but starin at us since we arrived.

Frodo: [takes Barliman aside] Excuse me, that man in the corner, who is he?

Butterbur: He’s one of them rangers. Dangerous folk they are-- all wandering in the wilds. What his right name is I’ve never heard but around here, he’s known as Strider.

Frodo: Strider...

[Frodo starts to play with the ring. It starts to whisper, tempting him to use it]

The Ring: Baggins. Baggins. Baggins. Baggins! Baggins!…

Pippin: Baggins!

[Frodo snaps out of his reverie]

Pippin: [at the bar] Sure I know a Baggins. He’s over there, Frodo Baggins. Hes my second cousin once removed on his mothers side [listeners laugh, "It works for him!" yells one] and my third cousin twice removed on his fathers side, if you follow me.

[Frodo rushes towards the bar to stop Pippin from blabbing further]

Frodo: Pippin!

Pippin: Steady on!

[Frodo slips on someone’s boot and falls back, tossing the ring into the air. As he catches it, the ring slips onto Frodo’s finger. He dissapears. Bree folks gasp in surprise. The Nazgul are alerted and makes for Bree. Frodo sees the Eye of Sauron staring down at him]

Voice of Sauron: You cannot hide! I see you!

[Frodo crawls away then takes the ring off his finger. He reappears, beside Strider’s table]

Frodo: Ah! [Strider grabs him from behind]

Strider: You draw far too much attention to yourself Mr. "Underhill"! [tosses him up the stairs]

[Entering a room, Strider tosses him in]

Frodo: What do you want?

Strider: A little more caution from you. That is no trinket you carry.

Frodo: I carry nothing.

Strider: Indeed.

[Walks over to the window, puts out the candles]

Strider: I can avoid being seen if I wish. But to disappear entirely, that is a rare gift.

[page]

Frodo: Who are you?

Strider: Are you frightened?

Frodo: Yes.

Strider: Not nearly frightened enough. I know what hunts you.

[Door bursts open. Strider draws his sword. Sam, Merry and Pippin rushes in]

Sam: *Stand off! / *Let him go! Or I’ll have you Longshanks! [*note to reader: these are the two different versions heard by audiences world wide]

Strider: You have a stout heart for a hobbit, but that will not save you. You can no longer wait for the wizard Frodo. They are coming.

[The Nazgul crash through the gates of Bree and into the Prancing Pony. Screeches are heard. They make for the hobbit rooms and starts stabbing the beds. They pull back the covers to realize the hobbits are not there. They scream in agony]

Frodo: What are they?

Strider: They were once men. Great kings of men. Then Sauron the Deceiver, gave to them nine rings of power. Blinded by their greed, they took them without question. One by one falling into darkness. Now they are slaves to his will. They are the Nazgul, Ringwraiths, neither living nor dead. At all times they feel the presence of the ring. Drawn to the power of the One. They will never stop hunting you.

[Following day in the woods]

Frodo: Where are you taking us?

Strider: Into the wild.

Merry: [to Frodo] How do we know this Strider is a friend of Gandalf?

Frodo: We have no choice but to trust him.

Sam: But where is he leading us?

Strider: To Rivendell Master Gamgee, The House of Elrond.

Sam: Did you hear that? Rivendell! We’re going to see the elves!

[After a while the Hobbits pause. Strider looks back at them]

Strider: Gentlemen, we do not stop till nightfall.

Pippin: What about breakfast?

Strider: We already had it.

Pippin: Weve had one yes. What about second breakfast?

[Strider walks away]

Merry: Dont think he knows about second breakfast Pip.

Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them doesn’t he?

Merry: I wouldnt count on it.

[From over bush, Strider tosses an apple and Merry catches it. He hands it to Pippin and pats him on the shoulder. Another apple flies through the air hitting Pippin in the head. He looks up bewildered]

Merry: [impatiently] Pippin!

[page]

[Scene goes to Isengard. Saruman is in the Chamber of the Palantir communicating with Sauron]

Saruman: The power of Isengard is at your command, Sauron, Lord of the Earth.

Voice of Sauron: Build me an army worthy of Mordor!

[Orcs file into the room]
Orc: What orders from Mordor my Lord? What does the Eye command?

Saruman: We have work to do!

[Gandalf awakens at the top of Isengard, sees the work around it]

Orcs: The trees are strong, my Lord. Their roots go deep.

Saruman: Rip them all down.

[Scene goes to Strider and the Hobbits at Weathertop]

Strider: This was the great watchtower of Amon Sul. We shall rest here tonight.

[Hobbits, weary from the long travel, settle down. Strider shows four short swords. He hands them to the hobbits]

Strider: These are for you. Keep them close. I’m going to have a look around. Stay here.

[Frodo, asleep, wakes up with a start. Merry, Pippin and Sam gathered around a fire cooking]

Pippin: Can I have some meat?

Merry: Ok. Want some tomatoes Sam?

Merry: Great tomatoes

Frodo: What are you doing?!

Merry: Tomatoes, sausages, nice crispy bacon.

Sam: We saved some for you Mr. Frodo.

Frodo: Put it out you fools! Put it out!

Pippin: Oh that’s nice! Ash on my tomatoes!

[The Nazgul cry is heard]

[The hobbits are alerted, grabs the swords and sees the Nazgul closing in on Amon Sul]

All: Uh?!

[Frodo motions the others to go up]
Frodo: Go!!

[At the top, the Nazgul surrounds them and pulls out their long swords]

Sam: Back you devils!

[Sam is pushed aside as does Merry and Pippin. Frodo backs off. He brings out the ring from his pocket. The Witch King feels its presence and approaches Frodo, dagger in hand. In fear Frodo wears the ring. Suddenly the Nazguls’ true forms are revealed to him. As the Witch King reaches out for the ring, the ring lifts Frodo’s own hand towards the wraith. With all his strength Frodo yanks his hand back. The Witch King stabs him on his left shoulder. Frodo cries out in pain. Strider intercedes, driving the Nazgul away with a torch. Frodo pulls out the ring from his finger and crying in pain]

Frodo: Aaaahhhh!

[page]

Sam: Frodo! [rushes to his side]

Frodo: Oh Sam!

[Strider continues to fight the Nazgul, torch in one hand, sword in another. He sets them afire and finally drives them away]

Sam: Strider! Help him Strider.

Strider: He’s been stabbed by a Morgul blade. [blade dissolves in the wind] This is beyond my skill to heal. He needs elvish medicine.

[Strider carries Frodo over his shoulder. They begin to leave Weathertop. Nazgul cries are still heard in the area]

Strider: Hurry!

Sam: We are six days from Rivendell. He’ll never make it!

Frodo: [whispering] Gandalf…

Strider: Hold on Frodo.

Frodo: [cries out] …Gandalf!!!!

[Next scene swoops over the caverns of Isengard and up to the Pinnacle of Orthanc were Gandalf is held prisoner. A moth flies by and Gandalf, catches it and begins to whisper to it]

Gandalf: [whispering] Gwaihir. Go, Gwaihir.

[Moth flies away. Scene swoops down into the Caverns of Isengard and see the forging of weapons and armor. Saruman witnesses the birth of Lurtz and the Uruk Hai]

[scene goes back to Aragorn and the Hobbits at the Trollshaws. Frodo is delirious]

Sam: Mr. Frodo? [to Strider] He’s going cold!

Pippin: Is he going to die?

Strider: He’s passing into the shadow world. He will soon become a wraith like them.

[Frodo gasps]

[The Nazgul cry is heard from a distance]

Merry: They’re close.

Strider: Sam, do you know Athelas plant?

Sam: Athelas?

Strider: Kingsfoil.

Sam: Kingsfoil- uh, thats a weed.

Strider: It may help to slow the poison. Hurry!

[They search for the plant. Strider finds a small patch. Suddenly a sword is at his throat]

Arwen: What’s this? A ranger caught off his guard?

[Frodo seeing Arwen in a white light]

Arwen: Frodo.... Im Arwen. Telin le thaed (I am Arwen. I have come to help you.)

Arwen: Lasto beth nin, tolo dan na ngalad (Hear my voice. Come back to the light)

Merry: Who is she?

Arwen: [kneels] Frodo!

Sam: Shes an elf.

[page]

Arwen: Hes fading!

[Frodos gasping]

Arwen: Hes not going to last. We must get him to my father. I’ve been looking for you for 2 days.

Merry: Where are you taking him?

Arwen: There are 5 wraiths behind you. Where the other 4 are, I do not know.

[Strider puts Frodo on the horse]

Strider/Aragorn: Dartho guin berian. Rych le ad tolthathon. (Stay with the Hobbits. I will send horses again for you)

Arwen: Hon mabathon. Rochon ellint im. (I’m the faster rider. I’ll take him.)

Strider/Aragorn: Andelu i ven. (The road is too dangerous.)

Pippin: What are they saying?

Arwen: Frodo fir. Ae athradon i hir, tur gwaith nin beriatha hon. (If I can get across the river, the power of my people will protect him.)

Arwen: I do not fear them.

Strider/Aragorn: Beyest lin.

Strider/Aragorn: Arwen, ride hard. Don’t look back!

Arwen: Noro lim, Asfaloth, noro lim! (Ride fast Asfaloth, ride fast!)

[Arwen rides away with Frodo]

Sam: [to Strider] What are you doing?! Those wraiths are still out there!

[Arwen rides, The Nazgul gives chase]

Arwen: Noro lim Asfaloth!!! (Ride faster Asfaloth!)

[Arwen crosses the ford]

Nazgul: Give up the half-fling she-elf!

[Arwen draws her sword]
Arwen: If you want him, come and claim him!

[The Nazgul draws their sword and starts to cross the ford]

[Arwen casts spells unto the river]
Arwen: Nin o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer, Rimmo nin Bruinen dan in Ulaer!
Nin o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer, Rimmo nin Bruinen dan in Ulaer! (Waters of the Misty Mountains listen to the great word; flow waters of Loudwater against the Ringwraiths!)

[Water level rises, great flood comes around the bend. The Nazgul drown]

[Frodo starting to slip. Arwen lays him on the ground]

Arwen: No! Frodo...No! Frodo, don’t give in! Not now!

[Arwen cries, embraces Frodo]

Arwen: [voice over] What grace is given me, let it pass to him, let him be spared, save him.

[Scene whites out, Elrond’s image appears]

Elrond: Lasto beth nin. Tolo dan nan galad. (Hear my voice, come back to the light)

[Scene opens with Frodo on the bed in The House of Elrond, Rivendell]

Frodo: [half-asleep] Where am I?

Gandalf: You are in the house of Elrond. And it is 10 o’clock in the morning, on October the 24th if you want to know.

[page]

[Frodo wakes up]

Frodo: Gandalf!

Gandalf: Yes...I’m here. And youre lucky to be here too. A few more hours and you
would have been beyond our aid. But you have some strength in you, my dear hobbit!

Frodo: What happened Gandalf? Why didnt you meet us?

Gandalf: Oh Im sorry Frodo... I was delayed.

[Flashback to Gandalfs escape from Orthanc]
Saruman: Friendship with Saruman is not lightly thrown aside.

Saruman: One ill turn deserves another. It is over! Embrace the power of the ring…or embrace your own destruction!

Gandalf: There is only one Lord of the Ring! Only one can bend it to his will.
And he does not share power!

[Gandalf leaps off the Tower of Orthanc and lands on Gwaihirs back]

Saruman: So you have chosen - death.

[Gwaihir flies over the mountains, bearing Gandalf to safety]

[End of Flashback. Scene returns to Rivendell]
Frodo: Gandalf? What is it?

Gandalf: Nothing Frodo.

[Sam enters the room]

Sam: Frodo! Frodo!

Frodo: Sam!

Sam: Bless you, youre awake!

[Frodo laughs]

Gandalf: Sam has hardly left your side.

Sam: We were that worried about you, werent we Mr. Gandalf?

Gandalf: By the skills of Lord Elrond, youre beginning to mend.

[page]

Elrond: Welcome to Rivendell, Frodo Baggins.

[Reunion of the hobbits. Frodo sees Bilbo]

Frodo: Bilbo!

Bilbo: Hello Frodo my lad!

Frodo: Bilbo! [hug]

Bilbo: Oh!

[Next scene, Frodo looks into Bilbos book]

Frodo: "There and Back Again: A Hobbits Tale by Bilbo Baggins". [leafs through the book] This is wonderful!

Bilbo: I meant to go back...wander the paths of Mirkwood... visit Laketown...see the Lonely Mountain again. But age it seems have finally caught up with me. [gives Frodo a playful smirk]

[Frodo leafing through the book, stops to look at the map of the Shire]

Frodo: I miss the Shire. I spent all my childhood, pretending I was off somewhere else…off with you on one of your adventures! [realizes sadly] My own adventure turned out to be quite different.

Frodo: I’m not like you Bilbo.

Bilbo: My dear boy.

[Scene goes to Sam packing his bag]

Sam: [to himself] Now what have I forgotten?

Frodo: Packed already?

Sam: No harm in being prepared.

Frodo: I thought you wanted to see the elves Sam.

Sam: I do!

Frodo: More than anything.

Sam: I did! Its just...we did what Gandalf wanted didnt we? We got the ring this far
to Rivendell and then I thought...seen’ as how you’re on the mend, wed be off soon, off home.

Frodo: Youre right Sam. We did what we set out to do. [shows the ring on his palm] The ring will be safe in Rivendell.

Frodo: I am ready to go home.

[Gandalf and Elrond watches Frodo and Sam from the balcony in Elronds study]

Elrond: His strength returns.

Gandalf: That wound will never fully heal. He will carry it the rest of his life.

Elrond: And yet to have come so far, still bearing the ring, the hobbit has shown extraordinary resilience to its evil.

Gandalf: It is a burden he should never have had to bear. We can ask no more of Frodo.

Elrond: Gandalf, the enemy is moving. Saurons forces are amassing in the east-- his eye is fixed on Rivendell. And Saruman you tell me has betrayed us. Our list of allies grows thin.

Gandalf: His treachery runs deeper than you know. By foul craft Saruman has crossed orcs with goblin-men, hes breeding an army in the caverns of Isengard. An army that can move in sunlight and cover great distance at speed. Saruman is coming for the ring.

Elrond: This evil cannot be concealed by the power of the Elves. We do not have the strength to fight both Mordor and Isengard!

[Gandalf moves away, deep in thought]

[page]

Elrond: Gandalf, the ring cannot stay here.

[Gandalf sees Boromir, Legolas and Gimli arrive at Rivendell]

Elrond: This peril belongs to all middle earth. They must decide now how to end it. The time of the Elves is over-- my people are leaving these shores. Who will you look to when weve gone? The Dwarves? They hide in their mountains seeking riches-- they care nothing for the troubles of others.

Gandalf: It is in Men that we must place our hope.

Elrond: Men? Men are weak. The race of men is failing. The blood of Numenor is all but spent. Its pride and dignity forgotten. It is because of men the ring survives. I was there Gandalf. I was there three thousand years ago…

[Quick flashback to Isildur slicing the ring off Sauron’s hand]

Elrond: Isildur took the ring. I was there the day the strength of men failed.

[Return to flashback, Elrond and Isildur on the slopes of Mount Doom]

Elrond: Isildur hurry. Follow me.

Elrond: [voice over] I led Isildur into the heart of Mount Doom, where the ring was forged, the one place it could be destroyed.

[At Sammath Naur]

Elrond: Cast it into the fire!

[Isildur looks at the ring in his hand. The ring whispers to him]

Elrond: Destroy it!

Isildur: No.

[Isildur walks away]

Elrond: Isildur!!!

Elrond: [voice over] It should’ve ended that day, but evil was allowed to endure.

[Flashback ends. Scene returns to Rivendell]

Elrond: Isildur kept the ring. The line of kings is broken. There is no strength left in the world of men. They’re scattered, divided, leaderless.

Gandalf: There is one who could unite them, one who could reclaim the throne of Gondor.

Elrond: He turned from that path long time ago. He has chosen exile.

[Interior shot in Rivendell. Cut to Aragorn reading a book. Boromir enters. Boromir regards the painting of Isildur and Sauron. Then he turns to the shrine and sees the broken sword lying there. He picks up the haft and stares at the blade.

Boromir: The shards of Narsil! The blade that cut the ring from Saurons hand!

[Boromir runs his finger up the blade and cuts himself]

Boromir: [in amazement] Its still sharp!

[Turns to look at Aragorn who is watching him]

Boromir: No more than a broken heirloom!

[He returns the sword carelessly and it clatters to the ground. Boromir walks away. Aragorn gets up and walks to the shrine. He picks up the dropped haft and carefully sets it in place with the other shards. He takes a step back and touches his right hand to his heart, as he looks at the shrine. Arwen walks in behind him]

Arwen: Why do you fear the past? You are Isildurs heir, not Isildur himself. You are not bound to his fate.

Aragorn: The same blood flows in my veins. [turns to Arwen] Same weakness.

Arwen: Your time will come. You will face the same evil, and you will defeat it. A si i-Dhúath ú-orthor. Ú or le a ú or nin. (The Shadow does not hold sway yet, not over you and not over me.)

[page]

[Arwen and Aragorn in the garden, standing over a bridge]

Arwen: Renech i lu i erui govannem? (Do you remember when we first met?)

Aragorn: Nauthannem i ned ol reniannen. (I thought I had strayed into a dream.)

Arwen: Gwenwin in enninath...U-arnech in naeth i si celich. (Long years have passed…You do not have the cares you carry now.)

Arwen: Renech i beth i pennen? (Do you remember what I told you?)

Aragorn: You said youd bind yourself to me. Forsaking the immortal life of your people.

Arwen: And to that I hold. I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the ages of this world alone.

[Arwen gives Aragorn the Evenstar]

Arwen: I choose a mortal life.

Aragorn: You cannot give me this!

Arwen: It is mine to give to whom I will...like my heart.
[They kiss]

[The following morning, at the Council of Elrond]

Elrond: Strangers from distant lands, friends of old. You have been summoned here to answer the threat of Mordor. Middle-Earth stands upon the brink of destruction. None can escape it. You will unite or you will fall. Each race is bound to this fate--this one doom. [gestures to the column] Bring forth the ring, Frodo.

[Frodo lays the ring on the column and returns to his seat]

[People starts whispering]

Boromir: So it is true...

Someone whispers: The Doom of Men

Boromir: It is a gift. A gift to the foes of Mordor! Why not use this ring? Long has my father, the Steward of Gondor, kept the forces of Mordor at bay, by the blood of our people-- all your lands kept safe! Give Gondor the weapon of the enemy. Let us use it against him!

Aragorn: You cannot wield it! None of us can. The One Ring answers to Sauron alone. It has no other master.

Boromir: And what would a ranger know of this matter?

[Legolas stands suddenly]

Legolas: This is no mere ranger. He is Aragorn, son of Arathorn. You owe him your allegiance.

Boromir: Aragorn? This... is Isildurs heir?

Legolas: And heir to the throne of Gondor.

Aragorn: Havo dad Legolas (Sit down Legolas)

Boromir: Gondor has no king. Gondor needs no king. [returns to his seat]

Gandalf: Aragorn is right. We cannot use it.

Elrond: You have only one choice. The ring must be destroyed.

Gimli: What are we waiting for?

[Gimli steps forward, grabbing an axe]

Gimli: ARGH!!!!

[Gimli strikes down at the ring with full force but is repelled back. Frodo sees the Eye and felt pain. The ring remained intact with the shards of the axe all around it]

[Whispers were coming out of the ring]

Elrond: The ring cannot be destroyed, Gimli, son of Gloin by any craft that we here possess. The ring was made in the fires of Mount Doom. Only there can it be unmade. It must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came.

[Ring whispers: Ash Nazg]

Elrond: One of you must do this.

[Dead silence from the council]

[page]

Boromir: One does not simply walk to Mordor. Its black gates are guarded by more than just orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep. And the great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland. Riddled with fire and ash and dust. The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand men could you do this. It is folly!

Legolas: Have you heard nothing Lord Elrond has said? The ring must be destroyed!

Gimli: And I suppose you think youre the one to do it?!

Boromir: And if we fail, what then?! What happens when Sauron takes back what is his?!

Gimli: I will be dead before I see the ring in the hands of an elf!

[Arguments start among them]

Gimli: Never trust an elf!

Gandalf: Do you not understand that while we bicker among ourselves, Saurons power grows?! None can escape it!

Ring: Ash Nazg Durbatuluk! Ash Nazg Gimbatul! Ash Nazg Gimbatul! Ash Nazg Gimbatul! [The ring flares up]

[Frodo stands and approaches the arguing council, his voiced raised above the din]

Frodo: I will take it! I will take it!

[The argument dies down]

[Gandalf closes is eyes when he hears Frodo’s statement]

Frodo: I will take the ring to Mordor. Though-- I do not know the way.

Gandalf: I will help you bear this burden, Frodo Baggins, so long as it is yours to bear.

Aragorn: If by my life or death, I can protect you, I will. You have my sword.

Legolas: And you have my bow.

Gimli: And my axe!

Boromir: You carry the fates of us all little one. If this is indeed the will of the council, then Gondor will see it done.

Sam: Heh! Mr. Frodo is not goin’ anywhere without me!

Elrond: No indeed, it is hardly possible to separate you even when he is summoned to a secret council and you are not.

Pippin and Merry: Wait! We are coming too!

Merry: Youd have to send us home tied up in a sack to stop us!

Pippin: Anyway you need people of intelligence on this sort of mission, quest... thing.

Merry: Well that rules you out Pip.

Elrond: Nine companions... So be it! You shall be the Fellowship of the Ring!

Pippin: Great! Where are we going?

[Scene turns to Frodo’s room]

Bilbo: My old sword, Sting! Here! Take it, take it!

[Frodo unsheathes the sword and examines it]

Frodo: It’s so light.

Bilbo: Yes...yea--made by the elves you know. The blade glows blue when orcs are close. And its times like that my lad, when youll have to be extra careful!

[Bilbo brings out a mail shirt]

Bilbo: Here’s a pretty thing --Mithril! As light as a feather! And as hard as dragon scales! Let me see you put it on. Go on.

[Bilbo sees the ring hanging on a chain around Frodo’s neck]

[page]

Bilbo: Oh...M-my old ring! Oh well… I sh-sh-should very much like, to hold it again, one last time.

[Frodo begins to cover up the ring]
[Bilbo, transformed by the power of the ring, lashes out. Frodo, startled, backs away. Bilbo soon regains his composure. He then sits on the bed weeping]

Bilbo: I’m sorry I brought this upon you my boy...I’m sorry that you must carry this burden. I’m sorry for everything!

[Frodo places a reassuring hand on Bilbo’s shoulder]

[The Fellowship departs from Rivendell]

[Next scene shows The Nine Companions travelling together. They pause on a hill in the wild]

Gandalf: [voice over] We must hold this course west from the Misty Mountains for 40 days. If our luck holds the Gap of Rohan will still be open to us. From there our road turns east to Mordor.

Boromir: Two, Three, Four, Five. Good, very good.

Aragorn: Move your feet.

Merry: That’s good, Pippin.

Pippin: Thanks.

Boromir: Faster

Gimli: ‘Anyone was to ask for my opinion, which I know they’re not, I’d say we were taking the long way round. Gandalf, we could pass through the Mines of Moria. My cousin Balin would give us a royal welcome.

Gandalf: No Gimli, I would not take the roads to Moria unless I had no other choice.

[Legolas sees something from a distance]

Boromir: Come on. Good.

[Boromir accidently nicks Pippin]

Pippin: aaaah!

Boromir: Sorry!

[Pippin kicks Boromir on the shin]

Boromir: Ahh!

Merry: Get Him!

[Boromir goes down in mock battle and Boromir and Aragorn laugh]

Pippin: For the Shire!

Pippin: Hold him! Hold him Merry!

Merry: He got my arm! He got my arm!

Sam: What is that?

Gimli: Nothing, it’s just a whiff of cloud.

Boromir: It’s moving fast…against the wind.

Legolas: Crebain from Dunland!

Aragorn: Hide!

Boromir: Merry! Frodo!

Aragorn: Come on, come on! Take cover!

[Fellowship hides behind rock outcroppings. Crebain flies overhead]

Gandalf: Spies of Saruman. The passage south is being watched. We must take the pass of Caradhras.

[page]

[The Fellowship climbs the snowy slopes of Caradhras. Frodo looses his footing and falls, rolling down the slope towards Aragorn]

Frodo: ungh!

Aragorn: Frodo?

[Frodo searches for the ring. Boromir, sees the ring on the snow and picks it up by its chain]

Aragorn: Boromir.

Boromir: It is a strange fate we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing… such a little thing.

Aragorn: Boromir! Give the ring to Frodo.

Boromir: [hands it to Frodo] As you wish. I care not.

[Frodo grabs the ring from him. Boromir jokingly tousles Frodo’s hair then turns to resume climbing. Frodo looks on suspiciously. Aragorn releases his grip from his sword]

[Scene goes to Crebain returning to Isengard- beneath Orthanc]
Saruman: So, Gandalf, you try to lead them over Caradhras. And if that fails, where then will you go? If the mountain defeats you will you risk a more dangerous road?

[Scene - The Pass of Caradhras ]

[Fellowship with the exception of Legolas plods through the snow]

[Voice of Saruman is heard]
Saruman: Cuiva nwalca Carnirasse; nai yarvaxea rasselya! (Wake up cruel Redhorn! May your horn be bloodstained!)

Legolas: There is a fell voice on the air.

Gandalf: Its Saruman!

[First avalanche falls. It misses the Fellowship by a hair]

Aragorn: He’s trying to bring down the mountain! Gandalf, we must turn back!

Gandalf: No!

[Gandalf rises on the snow, chants out counter spell]

Gandalf: Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i ruith! (Sleep Caradhras, be still, lie still, hold your wrath!)

[Saruman stands on the Pinnacle of Orthanc continues to cast spells on Caradhras]
Saruman: Cuiva nwalca Carnirasse; nai yarvaxea rasselya; talhira notto-carinnar! (Wake up cruel Redhorn! May your horn be bloodstained…)

[lightning strikes the tip of Caradhras sending a second avalanche onto the Fellowship below. It buries them completely but soon they emerge from the snow]

Boromir: We must get off the mountain! Make for the Gap of Rohan and take the west road to my city!

Aragorn: The Gap of Rohan takes us too close to Isengard!

Gimli: If we cannot pass over a mountain, let us go under it. Let us go through the mines of Moria.

[Scene flashes to Saruman in his chamber in Orthanc. Reads a page in the book of lore]

Saruman: Moria. You fear to go into those mines. The dwarves delved too greedily and too deep. You know what they awoke in the darkness of Khazad-dum: Shadow and Flame!

[Scene returns to Caradhras]

Gandalf: Let the ringbearer decide.

Gandalf: Frodo?

Frodo: We will go through the mines.

Gandalf: So be it.
Código:

Valinor 2023

Total arrecadado
R$2.404,79
Termina em:
Back