• Caro Visitante, por que não gastar alguns segundos e criar uma Conta no Fórum Valinor? Desta forma, além de não ver este aviso novamente, poderá participar de nossa comunidade, inserir suas opiniões e sugestões, fazendo parte deste que é um maiores Fóruns de Discussão do Brasil! Aproveite e cadastre-se já!

Autores recomendados pelo Martin

Ilmarinen

Usuário
Um bom texto do blog dele com algumas excelentes recomendações, tirando o óbvio ululante que é Tolkien :P. É bem recente também publicado dia dez desse mês.

Not A Blog
Reading Recommendations

Eu acabei topando com o texto dele quando fui procurar alusões e comparações entre Walter Scott ( o primeiro romancista "histórico", cuja influência sobre Tolkien anda sendo discutida cada vez mais ultimamente) e o trabalho do George.R.R. Martin.

Algumas das indicações do Martin são, de fato, excelentes nessa de não se restringir à fantasia propriamente dita, incluindo T. H. White , o Rei que Foi Um Dia Será, Ivanhoé do Walter Scott, os Reis Malditos do Druon ( totalmente uma tremenda inspiração pra intriga palaciana de Westeros e o motivo principal pra esse post em primeiro lugar pq a saga vai sair em nova edição em inglês com introdução do Martin) e as novelas históricas do Arthur Conan Doyle.

Fantasies are not the only books I recommend to my readers, however. It has always been my belief that epic fantasy and historical fiction are sisters under the skin, as I have said in many an interview. A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE draws as much on the traditions of historical fiction as it does on those of fantasy, and there are many great historical novelists, past and present, whose work helped inspire my own. Sir Walter Scott is hard going for many modern readers, I realize, but there's still great stuff to be found in IVANHOE and his other novels, as there is in Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's WHITE COMPANY (he write more than just Sherlock Holmes). Thomas B. Costain (THE BLACK ROSE, THE SILVER CHALICE) is another writer worth checking out, along with Howard Pyle, Frank Yerby, Rosemary Hawley Jarman. Nigel Tranter lived well into his 90s, writing all the while, and turning out an astonishing number of novels about Scottish medieval history (his Bruce and Wallace novels are the best, maybe because they are the only ones where his heroes actually win, but I found the lesser known lords and kings equally fascinating). Thanks to George McDonald Fraser, that cad and bounder Harry Flashman swashed and buckled in every major and minor war of the Victorian era. Sharon Kay Penman, Steven Pressfield, Cecelia Holland, David Anthony Durham, David Ball, and the incomparable Bernard Cornwell are writing and publishing firstrate historical fiction right now, novels that I think any fan of A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE would find easy to enjoy.

And then there is Maurice Druon. Which is actually why I called you all here today, boys and girls.

Se há alguma coisa que eu, positivamente, ADMIRO DEMAIS no Martin é a abertura, espontaneidade e franqueza dele a respeito de suas fontes e admirações literárias, inclusive em relação a contemporâneos dele, um ponto em que ele é, de fato, MUITO MAIS espontâneo, sincero e "justo" do que JRRT.

Inclusive nessa de admitir a influência do grande criador de "sidhe glaciais", o Tad Williams, autor da saga que foi a fonte inspiradora mais óbvia pros Andarilhos Brancos do Crônicas do Gelo e do Fogo e pra outras coisas da série também.

Tad%2BWilliams%2B%2526%2BGRRM.JPG

The Diabolic Duo, Martin e Tad Williams em evento onde o primeiro foi entrevistado pelo segundo

Na saga Memory, Sorrow and Thorn, a Série do Trono de Dragonbone, o equivalente feänoriano élfico, Principe Ineluki,Rei da Tempestade, virou exatamente isso, um senhor das trevas morto-vivo, liche, disposto a fazer qualquer tipo de pacto e sacanagem pra se desforrar dos humanos ( entenda-se raça humana, as diferenças pra ele eram só detalhes) que mataram seu pai ( ou, melhor dizendo, "causaram" a morte do), o Rei dos Elfos.

Nota: aqui no Brasil dividiram o primeiro livro em 3 partes , publicaram as duas primeiras e omitiram a última. Os outros dois livros da série, a Pedra do Adeus e Para a Torre do Anjo Verde nunca saíram aqui mas , quem quiser acha fácil em inglês e castelhano por aí. Eu mesmo não li tudo ainda mas é fantástica a saga. Como já falei em outras ocasiões, Tad Williams foi muito influente em cima do trabalho do George R.R. Martin.

Admitidamente, inclusive em interviews e em interações diretas com fãs só por isso ele já ganhou pontos comigo:

Here is one question that may be unfair but I'll ask it anyway. For those writers who don't know your work very well, which of your contemporaries do you think match your style closest.
I don't know anybody who writes quite like me. There are other writers that readers would like if they like my work. Jack Vance... I used to strive to write like Jack but I don't think I succeeded. Tad William's fantasy series, that was very influential. It was good work. When I read his books,it was one of the things that got me to think of doing one of my own.

December 04, 1999
JOSUA AND ELYAS
I am a huge fan of Tad Williams. Although I loved Tolkien for many years, I had pretty much stopped reading modern fantasy, since so much of it was awful derivative stuff. Then I tried Tad's DRAGONBONE CHAIR, and sat up and said to myself, "Yes! This genre can be terrific, in the hands of a good writer."

I would likely never have written A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE without that inspiration

So, yes, "Josua and Elyas" are definitely a tip o' the hat to one of my favorite fantasy writers. And here's a hint... there are numerous similar homages to other favorites buried in the text, if you can find 'em.

s_MLB_v_O_f_160193880_26.jpg

ineluki.jpg

prince_nuada.jpg

Olha aí outras duas pessoas comentando os paralelos com o Ineluki ( e,na tabela, com Fëanor)

And I couldn't help but imagine a huge influence from Tad Williams on Prince Nuada, since the elves seemed so like his Sithi and Norns. (And yes, I know Williams' used the same legends and tales as sources as GDT, so the similarities are likely simply coincidental). But Nuada, especially, really screamed "NORN!" at me, in how he looked and fought.

Pan Versus Peter Pan; Or, Can’t We Have Some Adult Fantasy to Go with the Adulterated Fantasy?

“If our days have ended, let us fade,” Princess Nuala implores her brother. “We will not fade,” he insists in defiance of almost everything that’s been written about Elves since LOTR; and when he’s called mad, he muses “Perhaps I am. Perhaps they have made me so.” He could be Moorcock’s Corum (the Prince with the Silver Hand where Nuada is Silverlance) or Tad Williams’ Feanorian Ineluki the Storm King talking.

dark elves and sithi
De resto fica a dica: eu NÃO SABIA que o Georjão tinha um blog.

Última edição:
Minha contumaz resistência em ler qualquer coisa antes dos livros serem publicados tirando Daenerys Targaryen( e alguns outros lapsos de fraqueza como Kathleen e "Aquela cujo Nome não Pode ser Proferido") remains unabated , então, eu mantive distância dos teasers do Ventos de Inverno.

Última edição:
Impressionante ficar sabendo pelo post do Martin que a Saga dos Reis Malditos do Maurice Druon NUNCA saiu inteira em inglês.

Bom saber que em algumas coisas a gente anda na frente... Até há cinquenta/sessenta anos atrás o que bombava mesmo eram obras traduzidas do francês e não do inglês em nosso país.

a-flor-de-lis-e-o-leao-(col.-os-reis-malditos---vol.-6).jpg

Aqui no Brasil já foi publicada inteira há muito tempo atrás.

Já foi discutida aqui no fórum:

Nossa, eu gostei muito dessa coleção... Se bem que de todos os personagens, o único que eu achei realmente interessante foi o Filipe, o Belo.

Os livros são, na ordem:

O Rei de Ferro
A Rainha Estrangulada
Os Venenos da Coroa
A Lei dos Varões
A Loba da França
O Lis e o Leão
Um Rei Perde a França :wink:

attachment.php

And then there is Maurice Druon. Which is actually why I called you all here today, boys and girls.

Look, if you love A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE, and want "something like it" to read while you are waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for me to finish THE WINDS OF WINTER, you really need to check out Maurice Druon and THE ACCURSED KINGS.

I never met Druon, alas (he died only a few years ago, and I regret that I never had the chance to shake his hand), but from all reports he was an extraordinary man. He was French, highly distinguished, a resistance fighter against the Nazis, a historian, a member of the French Academy... well, you can read about his life on Wikipedia, and it makes quite a story in itself. He wrote short stories, contemporary novels, a history of Paris... and an amazing seven-volume series about King Philip IV of France, his sons and daughters, the curse of the Templars, the fall of the Capetian dynasty, the roots of the Hundred Years War. The books were a huge success in France. So huge than they have twice formed the basis for television shows (neither version is available dubbed or subtitled in English, to my annoyance), series that one sometimes hears referred to as "the French I, CLAUDIUS." The English translations... well, the seventh volume has never been translated into English at all, and the first six are long out of print, available only in dusty hardcovers and tattered paperbacks from rare book dealers found on ABE.

But that's about to change, thanks to my own British publisher, HarperCollins, who are bringing THE ACCURSED KINGS back into print at long last in a series of handsome new hardbacks. The first volume, THE IRON KING, has just been published... with a brand new introduction by some guy named George R.R. Martin.

163168_300.jpg

At the moment, alas, there's no plan for American editions, but readers in the US (and around the world) can order the Druon novels from their favorite online bookseller through the wonders of the internet.

The best news... at least for me... is the HarperCollins not only intends to release new English editions of the first six novels of THE ACCURSED KINGS, but also... finally!!!... translate the seventh and concluding volume. (Talk about waiting a long time for a book).

Anyway... whether you want something else to occupy your time while waiting for THE WINDS OF WINTER, or you're just looking for a good read... you won't go wrong with Maurice Druon, France's best historical novelist since Dumas Pere.

Já passou da hora de eu ler o primeiro que ganhei de presente de uma amiga anos atrás.

Anexos

• coleco-os-reis-malditos-maurice-druon-completa-7-volumes_MLB-F-3170581881_092012.jpg
    coleco-os-reis-malditos-maurice-druon-completa-7-volumes_MLB-F-3170581881_092012.jpg
    188,5 KB · Visualizações: 176
Última edição:
Um autor que já vi ele recomendar, e vi várias recomendações no fórum da série no IMDB, é o Joe Abercrombie e sua série 'The First Law". Consiste em uma trilogia, seguida de três livros avulsos e alguns contos. Já consegui baixar quase tudo, só falta o tempo pra ler.

Um autor que já vi ele recomendar, e vi várias recomendações no fórum da série no IMDB, é o Joe Abercrombie e sua série 'The First Law". Consiste em uma trilogia, seguida de três livros avulsos e alguns contos. Já consegui baixar quase tudo, só falta o tempo pra ler.

De fato esse Abecrombie está incluído na lista dele sim.

Maybe you've read all the fantasy classics, however. I have lots of readers for whom that is true as well. Those I like to point at some of my contemporaries. As great as Tolkien, Leiber, Vance, REH, and those others were, THIS is the golden age of epic fantasy. There have never been as many terrific writers working in the genre as there are right now. Actually, there has never been so much epic fantasy published than right now, which means a lot of mediocre and downright terrible books as well, since Sturgeon's Law still applies. But I prefer to talk about the good stuff, and there's a lot of that. Just for starts, check out Daniel Abraham (THE LONG PRICE QUARTET, THE DAGGER AND THE COIN, Scott Lynch (the Locke Lamora series), Patrick Rothfuss, Joe Abercrombie (especially BEST SERVED COLD and THE HEROES)... they will keep you turning pages for a good long while, I promise...

Valinor 2023

Total arrecadado
R$2.434,79
Termina em:
Back